My boy seems to be actually ingesting mulberry wood.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bovril

Ellie&Bovril <3
I have apple, pear, and mulberry wood for my chin, and while he leaves the stripped apple and pear sticks alone once he's stripped the bark off, he's peeling the actual mulberry wood like it's string cheese and as far as I can see he's actually ingesting it, not shredding it... he had the wood in his tunnel so chewed up pieces probably would have gathered inside. Should I be worried about intestinal blockage? I've taken the mulberry out until I get an answer. Has anyone else had ingestion problems with mulberry/other specific types of wood?

He probably won't have any issues, but it really depends on if he's gulping it down or chewing it up well. It's possible that he's not eating as much as you think, but if he is actually swallowing it you need to watch him and see how much he is eating.

I have chinchillas that eat the bark off of their wood but that's usually where they stop. Chins can break down and digest small pieces of wood so it isn't harmful to them.

Back