Mutations, breeding for personal goals.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This answer will vary for lines and mutations but do you prefer light or dark underfur?
I prefer light underfur for all mutations because they always look good (in prime), and I like the brightness in my colors. You don't have to worry about them getting mats and when you do show if they are in prime there is no work to do. I do have some dark/long furred white violet lines and they will take me 20 minutes or more to groom each chin out for show and they do sometimes get mats around the bum area. I showed a short furred violet of Ronda's without grooming a couple years ago and he took color class champ. The judge did comment on the grooming job needing work but I figured for not being touched it was a pretty awesome placing (I ran out of time to groom). :D

For those that do show, if you are a single person you really have to hustle. Most shows open 3-4 hours hours before the show starts but there have been a few that are only 2 hours. If you do the calculations of 120 minutes / 40 chins = 3 minutes per chin. This includes filling out the final paperwork and putting them in the show cages if they were not there the night before. It is almost impossible to do it as a single person with a soft long-furred herd because those guys need to be re-fluffed before going on the show table.

Thankfully I won't be producing a full string of 40 and Ronda no longer has chins, the most I bring now is 20. Still not much time though! It's best if you do the bulk of it the night before.

When you do the larger numbers you need to have them thoroughly groomed before even getting to the show. I have groomed and showed up to 50 at a one day show before but they were well groomed before ever leaving home.

I only ever show a few at a time, but even then I don't like the stress of grooming AND paperwork all within a few hours (I arrive morning of show) SO I usually get up early and groom them while putting them in the carrier. My animals are easy groom types and have been for years now. So I pre-groom (roughly 8mins per animal) put them in their carriers, go to the show and give 'em a once over as they go into their show cages. Some don't need touched up, rarely a few will. THEN I do paperwork.

Also when I have all my ducks in a row paperwork is almost completely done at home by filling out the forms online and then printed to take with me to the show. Then all you have to do is cards and write in cage numbers on the forms.

Thanks for all the replies.

When I think about chinchilla shows, ranchers and hobby breeders I come to the conclusion that they spend a lot of energy staying focused on time management. So what sets the pace for the show? Im trying my hardest to attend the ECBC nationals next year in Colorado and I am uncertain what to expect. My goals would be to meet some amazing people and absorb as much info as possible. Is this realistic at all?

I think that you get more info by being continually involved. Yes you will learn a lot by going to shows and seeing as many chins as you can. I am still pretty new and I think that you pick up things here and there by going to shows, following this forum, meeting other chin people, etc. I always seem to take at least one thing away from each encounter so to speak. By going to a show yes you will definitely meet some amazing people and you will learn stuff but my advice is to go to as many as you can and keep on building your knowledge base and also your network of "chin friends". It is always a different adventure each time....

As far as time management goes I think that is all relative to the individual. Someone who has hundreds of chins well they have to be but then someone like myself with a small herd of around 50 I am not too concerned with that. Then again I am a stay at home mom and this is my hobby so I am not too worred about that but again it is all relative to the individual and just how big they want their herd to be balanced with how busy their life is.

My goals would be to meet some amazing people and absorb as much info as possible. Is this realistic at all?
It is realistic if you know when to be there.

The best time to socialize with the most people is the day before the show (Friday). People roll in between 1PM - 5AM the next morning but most get there in the evening to bring in animals and set them up for the night (and do what setup they can if the person with the lights/cages is not there yet).

The reason this is the best time is that nobody is in a hurry and you can have meaningful conversations with everyone. Also, they are "fresh" and want to show off what they have, talk about the trip, etc. They will love you to death if you help them set up and also remember who you are. Make a point to do this if you can, it will be the most rewarding and you will learn a lot.

From the time people wake up Saturday (~5-6AM) it is go time. Some people will talk to you while grooming (others grunt something about coffee) but there is a serious focus in the room to get everything set up, chins in the cages, pee paper cleaned up final groom/shake out and paperwork in. Regardless of how much you prep ahead of time that 2-4hrs in the morning flies by. Also, people sit spread out so the fur of their animal doesn't drift onto others (though there is usually a loose cluster around each garbage can).

Once the show starts it's many hours of mostly silent waiting. Boring as all getout if you don't have animals in the show IMO, but educational if you haven't seen it before. There is a break for lunch, if it is catered this is a good time to talk because people will settle in a big group in the chairs. Most often people run out to eat in ones and twos so they can get back and get with it.

Standard show will wind down between 4-6PM. By now everyone has established social groups and jet off to the bar/meal/rooms/shower/whatever and are pretty pooped. If you drink this is a good time to get to know the Neaubaer's and some of the other old timers because they like to hang out at the bar (or bring their own alcohol and meet in a room).

Rinse and repeat for Sunday, except the banquet is afterwards. People start leaving immediately after the show so don't always stay for this and often you can only talk to the people sitting at the table with you. If it is a round table that is awesome, but if it is a long skinny one you are kind of limited to the 6 or so people around you. By now everyone is mentally and physically pooped and hungry and they will be presenting the awards throughout so while there is a lot of chatter it's not usually about chinchillas. This is often where you get past stories and such.

Also, on the first day during setup walk around and pick out animals you think will win or look amazing and write down the number. Find the breeder and ask them about that animal and what makes it amazing, who they think will do well, etc. You will get a load of knowledge by doing this and breeders can not resist talking about their animals! :D Sometimes there is a competition to pick the best animal and best pelt. That is fun to do too.

Edited to add that everyone is amazing. Teamwork is really what puts these shows on in such a short time.

Last edited:
Since I'd like this to be a comprehensive guide I'll post the ugly too.

I had to nix B1 because he chewed his female a few weeks ago. Since he is the only kit I had out of his Dam and his Dam is from another breeder so I culled her too. She only had him but I think she is pregnant so will wait 4 months to make sure. I included a picture of the female for people who haven't seen a male chew spot before. Chins that chew themselves almost always chew the hips, partway up the side or pluck the fur on their chest. If you see chew only on the front half or the top of the back/head/neck then is usually being caused by another chin.

This is the first chewer I've had to deal with in a long time. Pretty happy to say my lines are generally free of that particular issue.

On the upside, the little chocolate girl pictured here is now three months old and turning out amazing. Her brother is identical to her. They are just completing their first baby fur prime and I can't wait to see her when she has her adult one. She is a great size, perfect temperament and a lovely blue color.

Attachments

• Female.jpg
    Female.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 45
  • ChocF1.jpg
    ChocF1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Choc3.jpg
    Choc3.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Oh yeah, you gotta love the ones that chew "others"...mates...cagemates...ticks me right off! And as you said, easy enough to identify. The animal is chewed, but not in a spot they can easily reach ;)

Here is the Chocolate girl today, close to 8 months old. She is still spotting out darker fur so she may yet reach true Chocolate status.

Their tails are really neat. They are so bright white it is difficult to photograph.

Her mom is due again soon, she took a break after this girl and her brother. Her brother has just been introduced to two white girls with soft fur. This line has very strong fur so we'll see what happens.

Attachments

• ChocolateGirl8mo.jpg
    ChocolateGirl8mo.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 38
  • ChocolateGirlBack8mo.jpg
    ChocolateGirlBack8mo.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Back