Must.. not get more... chinchillas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lulilac

Dire Chinchilla Keeper
I have two chinchillas. I've promised myself I would't get any more. The two I have are more than a handful already. :p

So.. why do I go to the humane society website to see if there are any for adoption? : P I'm addicted. That's why.

Anyway, I want to add these two chinchillas to my family. Two more wouldn't hurt...right?

http://www.animalhumanesociety.org/adoption/detail?id=13711970

They have a cute little girl too. : (

Wahhh!

Lu

they have huge ears. cute.

Well - you'd have to think it's not 2 x more of everything, it's now 4 x more of everything...food, bedding, potentially 4 cages, potentially 4 vet bills, etc. that can be a lot for some people. Both bonded pairs could decide they hate each other in the new environment and that would be a bummer and mean 4 cages : / If all that isn't an issue then I say go for it.

Uh oh, another victim of Chinchilla Addiction! LOL. The little boys are cute. I hope you get a good discount on them together. Have you tried contacting any rescues in your area? They might be able to do a better price on a pair of rescues for you. But either way, welcome to the Chinchilla Addiction club. My BF would be so upset if I get any more! :D (Not that it would stop me, but I like to pretend his opinion matters.)

After going the route of getting more and more, with a max of 11 at one time-that was 11 cages, 11 cages at work also, I can truely say its more fun to have less, they get more attention, more toys, more playtime and more Mom time, and Mom gets more free time.

After going the route of getting more and more, with a max of 11 at one time-that was 11 cages, 11 cages at work also, I can truely say its more fun to have less, they get more attention, more toys, more playtime and more Mom time, and Mom gets more free time.

I agree. I used to work 4 days a week and had more time with my 9 chins. Now I'm working 6 days a week and have less time with them. I do feel about that.

Oh...those ears are very tempting. I'm always tempted to get more, especially when I see chins on craigslist that need help, however, getting more would mean that I couldn't care as well for the ones I currently have, and would have to wait longer to get non-essentials like fleece tubes and things like that. In the end, we're good with the amount of pets we have, and they all get top notch care, which is a requirement.

In the future though, I think doing rescue work would be good. I'd get to take in more small animals, put more energy into it, and also help out animals/provide them with proper care. I probably won't be able to do that for a decade though, sigh.

They are adorable! I added 2 more chins within the past 2 1/2 months ago. I did the same thing as you and kept looking at chins on craigslist. I love having 4 chins, but I'll agree it's double the cleaning, double the expense and double pooping lol.

I tell people all the time to keep the number of chins they have to a minimum and just be happy with fun pets. Some people can handle more than others, but there is a limit to it where it will become a real chore and it won't be enjoyable anymore.

All I do is play with chins all day so I can give the chins a lot of attention and care, but most normal people can't do that because they have work and family commitments that will keep them from having 250 chins.

You could adopt these two chins, but make sure that it's something you really want to do and that you are comfortable with caring for twice as many chins.

I can never resist looking at Craigslist for chinchilla ads. Not because I'm looking to buy, but because I'm curious. Three is the perfect number for me and I wouldn't get more at this point. But, hey, if you can handle more.. go for it!

I've been wanting to get, um...let's see...a dog, a cat, guinea pig and a rabbit for the past few yrs. But knowing I just dun have the time and the attention to share around, I still now only have to chins and a hubby to look after. But the urge is still there, I just have to tell myself "NO" :(

If the two you have are "more then a handful" already, then I think you've given yourself your answer.

I enjoyed fostering Misty's trio, and my friend just rescued a dog that I really want to adopt. However, at the end of the day I love just coming home to L&L. I've gotten used to the routine of caring for them, and at this point in my life another pet wouldn't be practical. I'd encourage you to go with your gut, and make sure that you're doing this for the right reasons.

There are so many needy chins out there, and I know that feeling of wanting to help them all. But you have to make sure that it won't break you in the end.

I have decided to not get any more chins now - not even two perfectly cute, big eared orphaned boys from the Humane Society. Two is enough and I wouldn't want Hugo and Barnaby (and my goldfish) to lose out on any attention.

Also, I would need to get a third (even a fourth) cage and then eventually another expensive Chin Wheel etc etc and the budget just can't handle it. :wacko:

One nice thing is that I know the Humane Society will take good care of them until they find a forever home. They don't euthanize animals once they've been put up for adoption.

Thanks for the insight everyone! : D

Lu / Sherry

Unfortunatly I can not say no either...I keep hoping that my BF will tell me to stop but he just keeps enabling me. We have a new girl coming home on thursday thanks to his lack of will power...ok fine my lack of will power. He says this is the last one for the time being, but I will bet money that if he ever finds a lovely little mosaic girl that we will be up to four chinchillas. I was actually about to post askintg people how they keep from buying more when they are sure "she will fit into our life just wonderfully." I want to say no, I really do, but the babies are just soooooo cute. If I see them online I can resist, but when I am actually at the pet store I just have to have them ALL.

I am addicted to searching petfinder. but I know that I simply don't have time for more animals right now.
And since I left my job a month ago and will not be working again until June of next year at the earliest, I can't really justify bringing on more animals. I know that I can cover any expenses that my current crew has, but having spent close to $300 on food, hay and other supplies in the past week - I'm not bringing home anu new furbabies - (but I can still window shop)

Latest posts

Back