MRSA

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YAY for the first round. Hope it continues.

Hmmm, I did have thistlesmom email address and I also think she used to post on HHC. I'm in the midst of a computer format but I'll see if I can find her email and send it off to you.

YAY for the first round. Hope it continues.

Hmmm, I did have thistlesmom email address and I also think she used to post on HHC. I'm in the midst of a computer format but I'll see if I can find her email and send it off to you.
If you do find it, I'd be most appreciative. I PM'd her right after I found the thread, but no response yet. There didn't seem to be an option where I could click to send her an email... which I think I've done before with others... Though maybe that was an option on a different board. Or maybe the user has to specify that it's okay for someone to email them. It's been awhile since I've looked through my CP options to know.

Thanks for the good wishes everyone!

Hedgies seemed pleased that their meds are only once a day now. Hedgiedaddy was happy too.

RunRunRunRunRunRunRunRunRunRunRunRunRunRun

While the little ones still have wet noses, their appetites and running have picked up.

I've found completely empty kibble dishes, messy wheels, and messy feet these last two mornings. This morning (my usual get wheel for cleaning and check on hedgies time), I had to leave Tex's wheel alone because he was still on it running up a storm. I'll have to tend to cleaning him and his house up tonight. Good runner :dance3:

Thanks.

Not 100% sure on the how long the meds will go. To some extent, we're playing it by ear.

The standard would be 10d; however, given that it's a big scary bug, we're planning to do another culture at the end of that, keep them on the meds until the results are in, and let the results guide next steps... Which I hope is "'kids' are healthy. Go home and snuggle."

Is this something that only people and hedgehogs can get or can chinchillas, cat, dogs and other pet get as well?

I think just about anything can get it. MRSA is basically a version of staph that's resistent to many/all of the "normal" antibiotics.

The hedgies' vet talked about a lizard... maybe an iguana (I've forgotten some of the details that aren't directly related to Tex & Satin's care)... that she treated awhile back. And I've read about it in rabbits, horses, and elephants. Ran into an interesting article last week about therapy dogs picking it up from the places they visit.

Last edited:
How are your quilled children doing? I am hoping that you have had to clean poopy wheels a lot over the weekend and that both of these hedgehogs are returning to normal health.

Yes; poopy wheel every single day. Good runners!!

Satin's having some messy poops issues - not well formed and smudgy :( Unfortunately, I can't help her out with that too much right now as she anoints with the foods that typically help with that which breeds further complications because I can't clean her just right these days. I did give her a little pet-pepto... she anointed with that *sigh* so I'm not sure how much actually made it into her tummy.

Hopefully not to jinx the situation, but her runny nose is looking better. And Tex's seems to have improved from where it was... still a little wetter/runnier than normal.

Little Tex has gone back to being a bit of a spikey ball. We had some extended snuggle time Sunday morning (me double-shirted & in gloves; him in a giant towel) and he chilled and snuffled around like his regular self after awhile. I think the lack of normal snuggle time is really affecting my little boy :( I feel badly about it. I worry that it's triggering PTSD... feeling neglected/abandoned by mommy. So we talk. And he relaxes a bit when I sing to him.

After having their regular homes this weekend, they'll both go back into their vacation cottages this evening. Satin will undoubtedly be displeased with this. In addition to smaller home, it means she has to have her smaller wheel. Fortunately, she's as cuddly as ever. She tried to get under my shirt and on my tummy this weekend... Had to put a stop to that. I look forward to when we can snuggle like usual again.

That is great news that their noses are a bit improved. It's sad for all to not be able to cuddle them and I'm sending prayers they this will soon be a distant nightmare. :)

Little boy in nebulizer
picture.php

Awww, poor little thing. I hope this all resolves soon and you can all get cuddle time again.

They're doing okay in there. It's actually one box and I installed a plastic wall cut out of another box right down the center. I can see the nebulized meds shoot out of the tube part, split at the wall, and go into each hedgie's area. You can see a darkness toward the upper right that's behind the sticker... Those are some out-of-focus Satin quills.

Satin points her nose end toward the incoming meds and rear end at the corner and assumes a quills-up, yet calm position. Tex wanders, then stands looking like what's in the pic, then wanders more, then stands...

They're both very fuffy starting the moment we go to take them out. But settle down soon after with a bit of gloved snuggling. I bought a heating pad and am going to stick it underneath in case some of the quilling-up is due to chilliness.

I need to give their vet a call to figure out the right date for a repeat culture.

Back