Moving and Transporting Advice Needed

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MommyDJ

My family will be moving 14 hours from our current home in about 2 weeks. We will be splitting the drive between 5 hours one evening, staying the night somewhere and traveling the rest of the trip the next day. I currently have a small plastic pet travel cage that our chin did fine in on the short ride home from when I got him; however, I am looking for cage and travel suggestions for this trip. Should I put some toys and his same fleece liner in the crate or will that be too much (will fill the space and he won't have much room to move in then)? Should I put in a small litter pan like he uses or leave it out and suggestions on food - leave food in, or give him some at the stop over at night. Should we take him out when we get to our stop over or just leave him in the small crate until we reach our final destination.

TIA

I would try to get a small metal travel cage he can spend the night in, a bored chin in a small plastic carrier can easily chew its way out.

I agree a metal carrier would be best. I would just give food and water when you stop at night. You can put in some hay and a chew stick for the ride.

Small metal cage with hay for the ride, provide water when not on the road. We do it all the time for shows, sometimes for 3-4 days.

Make sure to have some frozen water bottles,chillers if the weather is warm. If I have a chin on the railroad or going to vet I always pack frozen water bottles/fleece covers just in case something happens and you loose a/c in the car.

When we adopted our four new chins, we traveled by car (6.5 hours). I brought a friend with me and we would not shut off the car at all and had the air conditioner going. I put my 11yo son on temperature patrol. We brought them all home, 2 in one carrier and 3 in the other. We did use large cat/small dog carriers. I found that during our trip, they slept most the time and did not eat or drink much if at all.

Chinchillas travel for show all the time so we don't hesitate to travel with ours. The only other advice I can give is to be careful no direct sunlight is on the chinchillas cage during the drive because it can heat the cage up.

I may be moving a distance away in a couple of months, so I'm glad the OP asked about this!

Where would you get a small metal cage? Like the ones for dogs at Petco and just line w fleece on the bottom? I have a cat carrier (plastic) that I carry mine in.

I travel with my chinchilla for a straight 13-14 hours to PA for shows.

I use the Ryersons Metal Cages, some hay, no water, depending where they are put in the car.
If you choose to put them on the floor, some have mentionned that it gets very warm/hot due to the pavement and other. I would then put a flatten out box under the carrier and one taped on top and sides, this only to avoid heat and direct sun on them as previously mentionned.
I have a preference to travel beginning of evening on long rides. Only to avoid the daily sun heat peak, that is my main concern when crossing boarders.

The frosen bottles are a good backup in case of a AC break down

Don't worry too much about them... they will do fine.

Despite the thought that a chin would be happier in a cat sized carrier, they usually aren't.

Those "tiny" show carriers serve several purposes, firstly they keep them safe. Imagine you hit the brakes hard because a dog runs in the road... your coffee flies, your phone flies... and your chin flies from one end to the cage from the other.

Nextly, it's small, it's dark, it's safe. It's a hide out for them in a stressfull situation. Small carrier is highly recommended for long trips. :D

Thank you very much for all the recommendations. It makes me feel a lot better that a lot of you have traveled with yours long distances with no problems. I'm off to find the wire cage!

Personally, I have a small cat carrier and I've transported my chins many times with no problems, including over night stays. Usually, the chins are so pooped from being kept up all day in the car that they sleep and are good all night without trying to chew the cage. In fact, I checked it just now, no sign of chewing. Might be just the way my boys are :shrug:. I put a fleece liner, some hay, and maybe a chew toy to keep them occupied during the trip. At night, I attach a water bottle, give them some play time, and put a bowl of pellets in. Small cages are better, it makes them feel more secure and they are less likely to bounce around if you come to a sudden stop or something. I also seatbelt the carrier in, so I don't have to worry about it falling and hurting them.

This is what I use:
http://www.thepetonline.com/petmate-cabin-kennel-wire-airline-carrier-p-44882.html

Back