Moths in my chins food?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarilynTafolla

Lately, I've been having to throw away loads of pellets and treats because moths have been getting into them, I don't know how or why but does anyone know if this is normal?

I have faced similar problems with my hamster food but never my chin food. Are you using an air tight container? I place mine in a normal container (not air tight) and put a packet of silica gel in the container together with my food to keep the air inside dry. I also avoid putting my food containers in contact with direct sunlight and keep my room clean to prevent any type of insects or what not.

It seems to happen more during warmer months, but its somewhat common. Just keep the pellets in a Tupperware or something airtight.

Sometimes I think it's possible they may be in the bag from the mill and it's unavoidable, especially in warmer months. We keep our chinchilla food and treats in Vittles Vaults and haven't had any problems: http://www.amazon.com/Gamma-Plastic-Vittles-Vault/dp/B0002DJON4. I really like them. They seem to seal up really well, and if you have bugs in your food while using these I would say they were probably in the bag from the mill and didn't come in through your home.

Back