More breeding woes....

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starleomach

Dawnna's Keeper
Sambler my beautiful Ebony female was attacked by a cagemate.

She is massively pregnant, when my mom called me to say she was all wet I excpected babies when I got home. Instead I found an ebony female covered in blood. She has 20 lacerations on her head and at this time is unable to blink on her right eye. it may or may not be nerve damage hopefully not. for now after several hours at the vet she is getting eye drops every few hours. we are all hoping the inability to blink is pain and not nerve damage.

None of the cuts needed stiches and the vets are amazed that she did not go into shock. Her babies still are active in her belly and thankfully she is eating. no warnings at all just a sudden attack. when I saw her at first everyone was cuddling no one else has any injuries so it seems that she did not fight back at all. all her injuries are only on her face and neck.

Being as pregnant as she is has complicated things a bit but as long as we keep the eye moist she should be ok. I will get pictures after she settles in the medical cage. You just never know what will happen. Poor girl is not on any pain meds as the vets do not want to hurt the kits, they are due any day now. everything is topical. I am just so happy she is eating and drinking.

That just sucks! I'm so sorry to hear about your girl. I'll be keeping fingers crossed that everything is ok with her and the upcoming kits. For cute little fuzzy butts why do they have to be so naughty at times!

Ugh Kristy - It's just been a bad week on the forum, hasn't it? Bloat, injuries - one thing after another.

Keeping good thoughts for your momma that everything will go well.

Kristy, I'm so sorry, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she'll be ok and that the babies will be ok too.

Hopefully this is just the chinnie way of getting all the bad stuff out of baby season first. We can all hope for the season to get better. Hope the best for all

Kristy I'm so sorry to hear this news! I know you have so much else going on right now too! I'm sending speedy recovery wishes to her from me and my crew!

I have taken to syringe feeding her as she seems sore and does not want to move much. She is taking it very well gobbling it down and drinking water. I think it just hurts to move her head. I haven't felt the kits move since last night but that might not mean anything as she has been sleeping a lot. She is being a lot more difficult to get eye drops in so I am taking that as a good sign. She willingly drinks water if I hold the bottle for her. so every few hours she is getting a lifeline mush and water bottle in her face. (poor thing) other than that she has so many options for food and drink in her cage she is out of space lol.

It's good news that she is eating and drinking - fingers crossed and paws here at Monty's Manor for her and the little ones.

Sambler died Last night. she had 3 kits in her one did not make it, one is looking a little rough now and I do not think he will make it and one is doing great. both of the survivors are white males.

I'm really sorry to hear about the outcome of all this. May Sambler and her baby rest in peace now. Good luck to other kits, and hope both of them make it through this. I know this is a bad timing for you Kristy, so hope your bad luck is over for now so you can concentrate on that wedding of yours!

Latest posts

Back