Momo the Degu

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd93

This is Momo. He lives with my chinchilla Kitty and they get along great. I only have to seperate them for feeding since they get different diets.

Attachments

• Momo 2.jpg
    Momo 2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 166
  • P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 159
  • Momo 1.jpg
    Momo 1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 152
  • Momo 3.jpg
    Momo 3.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 154
Your degu is adorable and looks like a lot of fun. But I have to agree with Cassi, I really think it is a bad idea to keep them caged together. They are not the same species, and even though they do get along, that could instantly change. If it were me, I would want to play it safe and separate them asap, and enjoy them individually, before something terrible happens. You don't want to look back someday realizing you could have prevented this.

If I am totally wrong, I apologize, but instinct tells me that they should be housed separately.

How do you manage to only separate for feeding when a chin needs to constantly eat in order to keep their digestive track moving?

Chinchillas eat frequently throughout the day. I don't think you could keep their diets separate even if you tried. Get another cage for the chin or you could end up having some problems. It's never really a good idea to house rodents of different species together...it's not the same as having dogs and cats in the same house.

Momo is adorable but should be housed separately from your chinchilla. They should both have species appropriate food available to them 24/7. Also, degus are prone to diabetes and should not be eating crackers.

Back