Mom Doesn't Like Her Babies?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanachinnies

My chinchilla to my surprise had babies today and hasn't been very nice to them at all. I've tried to keep my distance since she's young and seems to be pretty scared but she doesn't seem to want the babies touching her at all and she is making her aggressive sounds at them when they come near. Will she come around? If I need to bottlefeed the babies how soon will I know that? They've only been alive for a few hours but since she's had them she has sat up on her food bowl away from them for most of their life already! I need help!

Sometimes first time mom's don't know what to do when they have kits. I'm not sure why, but it happens. Have you seen them nursing at all? Have you looked at mom's nipples to see if they are down and if they are in good shape? Kits can have very sharp teeth and I've had them cut mom's nipples before.

Give the kits something to hide in, like a glass jar, just in case mom turns on them and they need to get away. If she is still wigging out by tomorrow, then I would start hand feeding, at least a couple times a day.

My female kept sitting on top of her house instead of with her kits. I ended up removing the house and putting a glass jar in so I could observe them all together from a distance. She spazzed a little at first but then her mommy instincts took over.

I've seen first time mommies give birth and then spend a couple hours staring at their babies wondering what exactly is going on. Sometimes it definitely takes a bit before the new mothers realize what they need to do...until them removing houses, ledges and perches is necessary. Their instincts will kick in usually within the first day or so and they know exactly what to do!

Another thing to consider is that mom's milk may not have come in yet. Sometimes kits will bite mom's nipples when they don't produce milk. Mom will chase them away if they are doing this.

Latest posts

Back