mold on apple wood?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicki

Can someone confirm if this is mold or not...
Also has anyone else had apple wood where the buds have started to open like in the pics long after it's been cut?

AW3.jpg

AW2.jpg

AW1.jpg

It does look moldy to me. How are you storing it and how long have you had it? I would also think the boiling/baking process should dry it out enough so that it should not bloom.

I do not believe that is mold but I can not be sure. I have had apple wood with this cottony fluff on it, I believe it is safe and is just part of the wood but I will try to find some info on it to be sure. I have seen it on mulberry as well.

To me it looks like the fuzz on new shoots!

Make sure when you store your wood it has good air flow, leave in the cardboard box it comes in and leave the top open!

I'm processing wood as we speak. Looks like something is wrong. I can't put my finger on it but can tell you my wood has NEVER had that white look about it. I store my wood in food grade brown paper bags.

They are stored in plastic containers with holes. The same way I've always stored wood. This has never happened before. Im not sure how long I've had these. A few months perhaps. It was just some fuzz on and around the buds or shoots. Now the fuzz is almost everywhere.

Are buds safe to eat? I don't think I'd give twigs with buds on them? Either way, they look funky..

It looks moldy to me. Personally, I wouldn't give those to my chins. Maybe your containers need more ventillation. Are the holes you made in the container located on top or in the sides as well? This year I stored my apple wood in a cardboard box with holes on top and the wood in the bottom still got moldy from lack of air. I guess I'm going to have to poke holes in the bottom next year, or leave it open completely. I'm sorry your wood got ruined!

It was just some fuzz on and around the buds or shoots. Now the fuzz is almost everywhere.

Well if there is more fuzz than before then I would think that whatever it is, its multiplying/growing - that can't be good.

New shoots on some varieties have fuzz and it does look like whats in the pic. Won't hurt the chins if that's what it is, but if there's more fuzz than when you put them in the storage bin, I'd guess it mold.

My chins love the buds.

yup that's mold, i've seen plenty of moldy wood so i know it when i see it,if it was fuzz it'd be finer,and alot less white.
i'd replace it

I had a few pieces that looked exactly like that without the buds, at first I wasn't sure if it was dust or mold but it continued to grow and it spread to my other pieces that didn't have that white stuff all over it.

Ok, thanks for all the responses. I will find a new way to store wood. Currently I'm using containers with holes just poked on the top. I will toss all the apple :(

It is the fuzz that is on new growth (upshoots) its not mold :) I just picked up new wood this weekend and its all over the small pieces. Its not bad!

It is the fuzz that is on new growth (upshoots) its not mold :) I just picked up new wood this weekend and its all over the small pieces. Its not bad!

Even when it starts on the new growth and goes to the rest of the stick? It smells fine, not moldy. I'd just never seen this on apple wood before.

Even when it starts on the new growth and goes to the rest of the stick? It smells fine, not moldy. I'd just never seen this on apple wood before.

yes! You can distinctly tell the difference between mold and the "fur" mold will cause the ends of the wood to have black spots...the "fur" is on the bark. Mold grows on the CUT parts first...not the bark! I've cleaned and dried literally hundreds of pounds of wood and I can tell you 100% that its NOT mold! And since spring is coming up...that is the reason you have the buds....those are the beginings of sprouts for new leaves on the tree...think of the buds as gravy for the chins LOL its a nice bonus! They absolutely LOVE fresh upshoots! I always love cutting wood in the spring because of all of the new growth...that's the chins favorite part!

Store your wood in an open paper bag or an open box...it should be fine as long as it was dried properly

yes! You can distinctly tell the difference between mold and the "fur" mold will cause the ends of the wood to have black spots...the "fur" is on the bark. Mold grows on the CUT parts first...not the bark! I've cleaned and dried literally hundreds of pounds of wood and I can tell you 100% that its NOT mold! And since spring is coming up...that is the reason you have the buds....those are the beginings of sprouts for new leaves on the tree...think of the buds as gravy for the chins LOL its a nice bonus! They absolutely LOVE fresh upshoots! I always love cutting wood in the spring because of all of the new growth...that's the chins favorite part!

Store your wood in an open paper bag or an open box...it should be fine as long as it was dried properly

Ok, good to know :D Thanks for clarifying!

Latest posts

Back