Mocking Bird Babies coming soon!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa

A little family of Mocking Birds have moved into what mom thinks is an orange tree (looks like big limes to me) in my back yard. I saw the perfect little nest about 4 ft above the ground. Curiousity got to me TWICE and I peaked in the nest while the mom and dad were away chasing the crows and some other birds. (I wouldnt dare go while they are around. Ive been attacked by mocking birds in the past.) There was one blueish greenish egg with brown spots in there on Saturday and now there are THREE! I did a quick search on them and found we should be hearing them in less than two weeks!

My concern is.. We've been getting a lot of hard and heavy rains lately. Gotta love Florida Weather! So does anyone know how strong these little nests are? Im scared with a good hardd rain it will break or fall out of the tree.

And because I like to think ahead when it comes to animals.. if something were to (heaven forbid) happen with a rain or what ever does anyone know how to hand raise baby birds?

Im also going to have to let my lawn guy know to keep an eye out and be careful around the tree. I read when the birds are little before they can fly they can venture off a bit. And it said you might see them on the floor. So I have to go out there now and look before the pups go for playtime.

Next time if you dare to venture to take a peak try to get a pic if you can. I hope they make it. We are watching over a dove's nest now as well.

I second wanting pictures!!! No clue about the strenght of nests though, I can get info on hand-raising birds though

I was able to get one picture of the first egg when I first saw it. But Im too afraid to ventrure off and get close.

I read it was a myth for a mother bird to abandon the babies with a human scent.. Anyone know? Not that Im trying to touch them..l was just wondering.

no they don't abandon the babies, but it probably is best not to stress the parents and babies out too much.

I havent been out since I first saw there were 3 eggs. I left it alone hoping they would raise their happy little family in my backyard.

I noticed the other day that I havent seen any of the birds in a while. I went up to the nest since nothing was around and two eggs were missing and the last egg had ant sized holes and the ants were eating it :( . I felt so sad. I cant help but wonder what happen to the other eggs. Can they move eggs once they are laid? Did a predator bird get them? I was looking forward to having ugly baby birds around.

sometimes eggs are layed that aren't fertile and some just don't hatch for whatever reason which may have happened to the last that you found. I don't know about the other two but I'm so sorry.
A guess, and I am not sure if this is even possible since my roommate is the bird lady- but I know that one of our new chicks that hatched around the same time you found these has begun flapping and getting a little lift off so maybe the parents were able to move them? I could be searching for a nice happy outcome though!

Back