Mochi! Brand New Companion for Kimchi

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that I would be extraordinarily happy if I were to never hear of another chin having a broken leg or a leg that has been strangled by getting caught so that it has to be amputated! :) That would be only reason to say anything...we've all seen or had to hear about chins getting injured. Most of the time it's an easy fix to make a cage safer.

It's alright, Sailor! I know that sometimes some posts just feel like a whack to the head. That's what happens on internet forums without the face to face contact. Always try to look at it objectively and not get too upset. I've had people on the internet very directly insult me...I don't think that anyone here was trying to make you too mad. Sometimes it is really hard to get the proper tone across with certain things.

You aren't a criminal though. I've seen people use the same cage you use in the same way. Don't worry about it...just observe (be hyper-vigilant and paranoid?) the chin and be sure that no legs are getting caught and she's doing alright. When you get a chance maybe wire tie some mesh down or put down some fleece and all is good. :)

Azchins, thank you for your nice specifications.

Chinmama- what's the difference between critter nation and ferret nation? Thanks!

The bar spacing is smaller on the Critter Nation, and the bars are horizontal instead of vertical.

From what I hear, the Ferret Nation gets better reviews (especially for durability) than the Critter Nation. Also, if you ever intend to breed or have kits, the spacing on the CN is better than the FN. You would need to wrap the FN with hardware cloth to make it kit safe.

Both cages do come with plastic pans and most people prefer to either cover those pans with fleece or to replace them with metal pans from Bass Equipment (http://www.bassequipment.com/cages/ferret+pans/default.aspx). So that's an added expense you may need to consider.

Thank you chinmama that's very helpful. I ordered the cage and will now look into the metal pans. Btw when I tried ordering through my regular computer, it was charging $25 for the handling of the package. But in my mobile device it only added $5 for shipping...it's really odd considering I thought they give free shipping over $69. I wonder why they keep altering their prices.

I think they change their policy every hour and depends how you pay for it or format of it. this is an extremely odd site. I hope they come through. Through the regular computer it charges you .29 cents per pound over 50 lbs for shipping weight. Also they seem to change the rate of that. In general they keep changing all their policies.

I think the shipping is different on the cages than most other items on their site because of their size and weight. They need to be shipped via freight vs. regular shipping. Lots of people from here have ordered cages from their site and have been satisfied, so they are a legit place.

If I was suspicious about shipping charges, I would contact them directly to clarify.

I got my cage yesterday! I also placed an order for the pans. They say no tools are required, well I actually had to use various jewelry hammers and mallets to properly insert... Definitely looks like it was hand welded together so everything is slightly off, but the wheels are fine XD. I didn't realize how much taller and bigger it is to the hendryx. I am still in the process of putting it together since its the weekday. Also kimchi and mochi are getting long very well! So glad for that. Mochi seems to sleep much more. I guess because she's practically a baby. I added wood and metals in various parts of their old cage, so they seems to avoid the wires by using the planks.

Gosh the box was so heavy I had to take it up piece by piece, I don't know how the mail man was able to take it up the hill by himself.

As for the shipping costs I will let it go cuz on the regular computer it would've charged me more for shipping. $5 doesn't seem like a big deal. They change their shipping policy every hour anyway.

all right here's their cage, I am still waiting for their metal pans, so I temporarily put the fleece over the plastic then put ceramic tiles and marble on top so it would be easier to clean or sweep up with the dust pan. Also I didn't put the shelves up since they're so huge and doesn't make the cage seem as open. So I placed a hammock with board in the middle so the side can act like a ramp and the board would be the shelf. They also seem to like sleeping there as well. I don't think they have figured out how to jump onto the other hammocks yet. they still don't know how to use the wheel. Also Kimchi LOVES her dust baths however, it seems Mochi isn't into dust baths that much. I have to put it on top of the wooden sleep house so she somewhat gets her dust baths. but she seems she doesn't easily going into the cookie jar or the plastic dust bath house. I don't want to leave the cookie jar in there so Kimchi doesn't over dry herself. Sometimes I put dust directly on Mochi, like sprinkle it on her otherwise it's difficult and I worry about her not getting herself clean enough. What I do notice the difference between Kimchi and Mochi is the following:

Kimchi:
- sprays when startled
- releases fur easily
- doesn't mind being held too much once you're able to get her
- doesn't really like going on her your hand unless you have a treat
- loves dust baths- like crazy
- doesn't bite
- does bark or kack
- more active and jumpy
- really hard to catch, so when she's inside of the cage i can use the house to get her, outside of the cage, like when she escapes to a non chin proof area, she's hard to catch. but in her play place she uses the dust bath house to get back to her cage.
- easily pee trained

Mochi:
- likes going on your hand somewhat
- HATES being held (but she's only been here less than a week) I only hold her when I need to transfer her to other places because she doesn't partake to the dust bath house as easily
- would be more willing to bite you if she doesn't like something
- does not spray at all
- does not release fur (at least I haven't seen it so far)
- does not like dust baths that much, but is interested in loose dust
- squeeks instead of kacking
- kind of slow but that may be due to age, and sleeps a lot more
- little harder to pee train? but i think she's getting the hang of it, she didn't get the initial bedding everywhere

981657_661413524956_1586754069_o.jpg

977782_661413554896_1482798916_o.jpg

945138_661413574856_1974741972_n.jpg

977272_661413594816_48742907_o.jpg

Looks great! If it were me, I would add more wood ledges throughout, since they love to jump around on them.

Yea I am planning on it. It will take some time to upgrade, since my wallet is crying now for all the purchases I made this month for them. Once i sell the old cage, the funds will go towards their stuff. Definitely over time I will collect a few things. Does anyone have sites that sell reasonably priced ledges?

Our new chins have a small cage that I use to put them in while we cleaned the QC cage. It had bars on the sides (much like yours does on the bottom). Never in a million years would I have thought that one of them might get a foot caught in the cage bars, but leave it to Chesmu (he's a real acrobat)! Thank goodness we were in the room when it happened. He didn't get hurt, but he was hanging upside down by his little chinnie foot. That cage is in the garage and there it will stay!

Hi! A cheaper way for ledges is to make them yourself, which isn't nearly as scary as it sounds if you're not into that kind of thing. I bought a single 8' x 5" beam of untreated, kiln dried pine from home depot (just ask them for untreated kiln dried pine), and they sliced it up for me! (Minimum length 12" per store safety policy) That one huge piece was only $7, I think. Then I asked them to help me find hangar bolts, washer, and wing nuts.

Hangar bolts are designed to be screwed into the board half way and then the wingnut and washer on the other side (my home depot guy didn't know what they were called so I described them to him like that).

They'll help you find bolts/washers/wingnuts that all fit well together...I have washer size AKC, I know. THen I just predrilled the holes and screwed it all together onto the cage!

I have 2 screws per board, and it cost me so much less than spending like $7 per shelf plus shipping. If it's something you and your husband can do, I'd definitely recommend it! A few years of high school drama set building experience is all I have and it was easy peasy.

The cage looks really good! I think people are right about ledges. You can easily make some yourself though, it's SUPER cheap ha ha! Oh, and fun! My boyfriend and I made a crap ton and now we have extras just in case. It cost us a whopping $10. :)

Also, and please note what I am about to say is merely a question not an accusation, did you keep Mochi in quarantine for 30 days?

I read in your posts, and yet again I could be mistaken as I have not read every single post, that you had had Mochi for 3 hours. I don't know what your situation is, but I just wanted to say that usually people do quarantine for 30 days to prevent any disease coming in. If a chin is sick and housed with a healthy chin, then the healthy chin could get sick.

I love your cage and think with a couple ledges it would be 100% perfect! :) I hope your chins love it too! As far as the kacking and fur slipping, I would try to bond more before grabbing. Maybe hang out more by the cage. I read my chins "The Help," which was a way long book and allowed them to hear my voice a lot. Also, chins like habitual action. So doing things like having specific times for handling/bonding, dust baths, and cage cleaning helps them to adjust faster and to feel safer.

I hope I helped a wee bit. The fact that you are asking questions is already making you an excellent chin parent! :) Good luck and love on your cuties so much!!! Tell them hi from my James and Scotty ha ha!

Yea I do have the tools to work... I majored in metal and silver smithing. I did research about making your own ledges, but am quite limited with time. so I figured I could purchase from whimsy and order a couple other things, and the proceeds do help them... Had I had more time I would figure to do it myself, but I rather play with the chinchillas than spend time constructing the ledges. Besides their ledges look nicely finished with nice poop guards. I know I would have trouble with the l shaped ledge. If the shipping is right I may just go with them, otherwise I may have to consider this alternative.

However does anyone have suggestions as to how to make the swings for chinchillas? They have one in whimsy, but I really can't justify spending that much for something not as essential.

Thanks for the info!

Oh myzar I didn't see your post. Actually I haven't quaranteened mochi, the breeder didn't tell me anything about that. She just wanted to make sure my chinchilla was healthy before I even came to visit. Eee, well they have been together for a while now. So far they both look good, at least kimchi looks normal as usual.

Yea if I end up purchasing from whimsy it would cost $136 including shipping....that's 7 ledges of different size and complexity, hanging tube and food.

Yea $28 for shipping. I live in Rhode Island but she's in va which is still relatively close

Back