Missing ears?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spochins

Last Friday I adopted from Craigslist a 4- month old chin named Izzie. The previous owners told me that they purchased her from a pet store.

I have never had any experience with a young chin. It appears that Izzie may be missing most of one ear and a portion of her second ear. The former owners told me that Izzie's mother "over- groomed" her when she was very young and ended up "licking her ear off".

Izzie appears to be in good health and can hear quite well. Whatever injuries or wounds that occurred appears to have healed. My question is at 4 months how large should a chin's ear be? At what age do the ears reached their adult size?
I really love Izzie and she seems perfect in ever other aspect. I certainly plan on keeping her. I'm just curious if she'll ever have any outer ears.

I'm attempting to attach a photo of the little cutie.[/ATTACH]

Last edited:
Missing Ears?

This is my second attempt to attach a photo. @&*!!!!!!!!!!!!!! computers!

Attachments

• 2008_102509PromMatt0052.jpg
    2008_102509PromMatt0052.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 159
I've had chins with the ears completely chewed off (not licked off) by their mom's, siblings, dad's, whoever. They seem to hear fine, just never have any ears.

If you want to know if they grow back - no, they don't. Once they are gone, they are gone. I think they are awfully cute without them, even though I'd never wish that on them. :)

I think most of us have seen chins with damaged ears, and sadly, they don't grow back.
I've seen them damaged by mothers, but usually by siblings in a litter of 3 or more, as they'll sometimes kill one another in their fight to thrive, if the milk hasn't come in on time!

Poor girl, but I'm sure she manages just fine. It's just esthetics and wouldn't affect her hearing. I agree with Peggy that she is awfully cute without her ears. Congrats on your new baby!

My rescue girl Lala has some slightly damaged ears. I think they just give her character. :)

As for you and Izzie, congratulations on the new arrival. Beautiful chinnie.

She is just precious! I have a girl who momma over groomed and chewed off only the edges of her ears, both of them! She actually looks adorable, like a little dog, but as Tunes said, of course it is sad.

Izzie is an adorable little gal. She is even more endearing not having ears! And by the way the only thing chins really hear anyway is "do you want a treat" HA!!!

She is the most adorable earless chin I've seen, I love they way they stick out a little like a cat... Be thanksfull! I have had moms chew the ears off entirely ! At least she has a little left. ( :

Boy, if there ever was a picture i wanted to see! I think little Izzie girl looks cute and
special without her ears. But, oh my-i never heard of that (completely gone) until
you posted this. But, i'm also not buying the "mom chin licked them off"--that would be
some seriously Hard licking. Poor little sweetie. Sounds like she's in great hands. Lots of
love for her!

I had the pleasure of fostering a chin that had no ears for a bit, he was born without them. All he had was just a little ridge around the opening of where they would have been. He was the cutest little guy, looked just like a little teddy bear, so that's what they called him....Teddy.

I'm sure your little girl is just as cute.....:)

She looks like a guinea-chinnie!!!

She is so cute! What a beautiful little girl!!!

One of ours has a huge rip in her ear (over-zealous breeding before we got her), but it just makes her all the cuter!!!

Good for you for rescuing her from CL, and welcome!! :)

I have to agree...Izzie is adorable and her lack of ears help make her even more special by adding to her cuteness!

Missing Ears

Thanks for all your replies. Despite all the chin books I've read, there is nothing like this forum to get insight, encouragement and information.
I think Izzie is adorable just the way she is. She kind or reminds me of a seal with legs. I'm so happy to give her a good home! The former owners were both laid off from work and couldn't afford to keep her.
THANKS!Sue

She is super cute! Though I do feel bad that it happened to her :(

I am wondering to everyone. Will having no ears affect anything with her? You said hearing would be fine. I have heard that chins do not use their ears to cool like rabbits, so that is not a problem. So...what are large chin ears for? Why don't chins have small ears then?

Just wondering... but isn't she is wicked cute!

Back