minimum ideal temperature for chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calcaneus

I keep my chins in the basement, where it is coolest during the Virginia summers. However, now that we're getting to the time of year when I'm going to need to turn on the furnace...what's the minumum optimal temperature for chins?

The thermostat I put down with them says 60 degrees F after a sudden cold snap last night, so I'm starting to think their area should be warmed up. The temperatures I've seen online seem to be very variable, but some of them are more like 65 degrees plus. It seems high to me, given that they are cold desert animals and so prone to overheating, but I know domestic chins are probably not as cold weather resistant. There are no drafts affecting their cage area.

These two have previously been living in another Virginia basement, and the minimum temperature there might have gotten as low as 60 but not any cooler.

Also, what are the signs that a chin is too cold?
Thanks!

My barn sits at around 50 to 55degrees with 36% humidity all winter long and the chins love it.

I have never had chins too cold, so I can't tell you for sure what the signs would be, but I would assume they would be similar to overheating signs, i.e., lethargy, sluggish movements, not eating, drinking, etc.

Awesome, that's a relief! I'm sure the furnace will be going on anyhow to appease my darling husband, but perhaps I'll close the vents to the basement when I do and monitor the temperature down there.

I don't turn on the heat in the chin room, and it normally stays around 60ish during the winter. I've had it go lower, with no problems :)

My basement got down to 61 degrees and my boys are always active but much more with even just a 6 or 7 degree difference.

I think 60F is just about optimal! Even a little cooler would be fine, IMO. My chins live in a room off of my bedroom, and I strive to keep it around 60 in the Winter in there. I don't know what the lower threshold would be, but I personally wouldn't go much below 50F for extended periods of time.

Thanks everyone! I took them to the vet today for a checkup and inquired with her, and she said 50-60 degrees is perfect for them. Although, she was looking it up in the chinchilla cheatsheet they have, and who knows who put that together. But for now I will monitor the temperature and their behavior and assume they can tolerate 50+.

Latest posts

Back