Mini Bust-25 Chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whimsy

An animal control office in Northern Virginia called to ask for our assistance. 25 chinchillas were surrendered by an individual this past weekend.

No pointing fingers or naming names, although if this person is part of the forums, I hope you take this wake-up call to heart. :banghead:

These chins need placement and I know that my fellow chin lovers are generally quick to respond and help. Please help....

Oh, how terrible!! :( Thank goodness you were there to help! I hope there are caring people to step forward and help down there!!

An animal control office in Northern Virginia called to ask for our assistance. 25 chinchillas were surrendered by an individual this past weekend.

No pointing fingers or naming names, although if this person is part of the forums, I hope you take this wake-up call to heart. :banghead:

These chins need placement and I know that my fellow chin lovers are generally quick to respond and help. Please help....

So have you taken the 25 or are they with animal control/humane society?

The previous owner was allowed to retrieve 6 of the 25 surrendered. Apparently she still has 50 or so still in her home.

I have 19 of them here (plus the ones who were already here looking for homes)

We have receieved a nice outpouring of assistance already! Someone emailed about taking a pair or trio and another kind soul (you know who you are) is willing to take up to 6 singles!

Wow, she surrendered 25 and still has 50?! My goodness.. talk about getting in over your head..

Some people can handle hundreds of chins, some can only handle one. Different people, different abilities. What concerns me is the fact that this person unloaded her "rejects" and kept the remainders...and is still breeding them.

If there is any way I can help, just let me know. Maybe some toys or something like that? I wish I was closer or I would take several to find them homes...eventually.

25 is a whole lot to take in all at once...and there could be more coming, right? Please don't get too stressed out, okay? I know exactly what you're going through. I've had 20, 30 and even 50 come in all at once...it's so much work, but you have to remember to eat and get enough sleep. ;)

If there is any way I can help, just let me know. Maybe some toys or something like that? I wish I was closer or I would take several to find them homes...eventually.

25 is a whole lot to take in all at once...and there could be more coming, right? Please don't get too stressed out, okay? I know exactly what you're going through. I've had 20, 30 and even 50 come in all at once...it's so much work, but you have to remember to eat and get enough sleep. ;)

Thanks Susan

You're right. It is a lot to take in all at once. We've had groups of 5, 6 and up to 8 come in all at once, but this is the largest influx we've had to date.

Fortunately, we rehomed 15 chins at Christmas time and had a bit of extra space here. If it weren't for the fact that we have so much support, doing what we do would be impossible. Thank you so much for the encouragement and offers of assistance!

I adopted my chins from a rescue and I truly applaud the humanitarian efforts of legitimate rescues taking in these amazing animals and giving them better lives. I'm just a regular pet owner, but I'd be willing to help donate to a supplies fund, or send an extra order of hay your way. There's probably others here like me who could pitch in, even if it's just a couple twigs in the mail! :grouphug:

I adopted my chins from a rescue and I truly applaud the humanitarian efforts of legitimate rescues taking in these amazing animals and giving them better lives. I'm just a regular pet owner, but I'd be willing to help donate to a supplies fund, or send an extra order of hay your way. There's probably others here like me who could pitch in, even if it's just a couple twigs in the mail! :grouphug:

Thanks for the encouragement and the offer, Amy.
We currently have as many as 30 bales of amazing organic hay at our disposal. At this time we certainly could use some extra feed pellets though. Homes are really what we're hoping to get for these guys, but we won't turn down chews and cages. ;)

I don't know if anyone from around New Jersey (or is just going through New Jersey) is heading down to Virginia soon but I have 3 cages that I was going to get rid of anyways, they're not in the best of shape but they're are still standing/working. The only thing is is that I am leaving for Ohio tomorrow night for about 2 weeks.. but if anyone can get these cages to you you're more than welcome to them.

I wish I could take one in but my boyfriend would for sure kill me :wacko: but I am happy to help with railroading if needed. Sad to hear these guys came from my area

Glad my cages were a help. I really hope this person isn't someone from this forum. Fredericksburg Virginia is not that big a town.

While you did not add the city Amie, I will. Just in case someone may be looking to adopt chins. Ask alot of questions of a breeder especially one that comes out of the Fredericksburg area. While I DO NOT know who these chins came from I'm going to add that caution. Seem's the person has too many and really cannot properly care for them.

And I do not know anyone from that area that goes to chinchilla shows. Thus if you are looking to adopt for your foundation herd... buyer beware.

Last edited:
I am in Northern Virginia and would be able to take in 1 male permanently. If cages are provided I can foster more.

Whimsy, I am headed out to work in an hour so I will PM you my email address. If some are still up this way I can go pick them up tomorrow evening.

Whimsy, what do you feed? I've got PRSC and Mazuri on hand, but if it's something else I can send you the money for it. Thank god these chins have you. If this forum wasn't family friendly..i'd have some words for the owner of these chins.

And I do not know anyone from that area that goes to chinchilla shows. Thus if you are looking to adopt for your foundation herd... buyer beware.

Actually, I am from Fredericksburg, and do attend shows when I can, which is admittedly not as often as I'd like. With my father dying after a prolonged illness and having to take over the family business, I haven't had the flexibility to travel. That doesn't mean I, and other breeders like me, don't strive to produce quality animals, bought from quality breeders (most of my animals are Whitewoods, Ryerson, or Ritterspach breeding stock, and I paid a pretty penny to get them).

However, I think in this case, (and no, I am not the person in question here), the person was trying to be helpful by taking in rescues so they didn't end up in shelters, and got in over her head. The end was not desirable, but the desire behind it came from a good place. Most of the chins surrendered were rescue chins, so no, they should absolutely not be used for breeding.

Whimsy, I am available to railroad for you up north if you need it.

Back