Metal Wheels

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjaturtletayy

So my little guy grew up with a metal wheel in his cage at the pet store he lived at. When I put him in his new cage, I got him a plastic wheel that he refused to use. He had a metal wheel before, but I heard that those wheels can cause their fur to get caught and torn out. Plus it had these half bars that went in the middle of the wheel that I watched him hit his back on a few times when he was running. Does anyone have any suggestion for other metal wheels? I would like for him to have his wheel back since I know he liked his old one.

Remove the plastic one; he's not using it and if he starts chewing it, that will be a problem. The wire/mesh wheels aren't good either. We recommend Chin Spins, Silver Surfers, Leo Brauns, or Flying Saucers. These are all wheels that are safe for chins to use.

You want a metal wheel but it needs to be without spokes and have a solid running surface. The silver surfer is the cheapest but a little narrow and our chin falls out of it frequently because her cage is currently sitting on a dog crate instead of having the base piece for a ferret nation so everything wobbles too much when she runs. We just picked up new cages. As soon as we move a book shelf she will be on a more stable base. The chin spin is a considerably bigger wheel but about twice the price. Then there's flying saucers which are mostly flat instead of your standard round wheel and in between for price. They give a big running surface but take up a lot of cage space and some can't figure out how to use them. I might get one of mine a flying saucer with christmas money because every now and then she pees in her silver surfer then runs in it and ends up with pee clumping her fur up. Flying saucers don't go over top of the animal eliminating that problem.

I ended up breaking down and buying my girls two Chin Spins. I really like them, they're quite and and seem really sturdy. The only problem with them is their price which I had to save for a month to get them. But I believe they're worth the price, my girls love them.
I've heard silver saucers are good or any of the wheels javachin mentions.

Thanks for the input! I was leaning towards getting him a Chin Spin, but I was curious if anyone has a preference of Chin Spins versus Silver Surfers? Those are the two most affordable for me (I tried a saucer and he hated it). But I wasn't sure what the difference is between the two besides cost, so any and all input would be great!

My chins have Silver Surfers and they love them. Very nice wheel for the price. I have never tried the Chin Spins, but tons of members here on the board say they are a great wheel. I'm sure either would be just fine :) The Chin Spin is larger and has a bit larger running space than Silver Surfer.

Has anybody had issues with their chins chewing their wheels? Just wondering as they seem to all be powder coated.

Well, chinchillas will try to chew on anything when you first put it in my cage. My older chin would only go for the metal spoke in the middle. She used to have one of those plastic ones, but when she noticed that this one couldn't be chewed up she hasn't really attempted to anymore.
The younger one hasn't tried to chew it that I've noticed.

My younger pair are the only ones that try to chew up things like metal and tiles that can't be chewed. The adults are all a bit more careful what they put their teeth on.

Quick update! Stanley's Silver Surfer got here today and he loves it. Without a wheel he was super mopey and lazy and his ears always looked sad. They reminded me of Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh. But when I just went to peek on him, he was running and stopped to come to the side of the cage with perky ears and looked at me and sniffed me. I know that doesn't seem like much to some of you, but he's been really shy and weary of people since he didn't have the greatest life at his pet store so I consider the greeting to be a big step! Thank you everyone for weighing in on wheels! My boy is much happier now.

Wheel needed

Does anyone have a flying saucer metal wheel that they are looking to get rid of? My boys are old enough now that they need one.

The Silver Surfers are out of stock so I guess I'll have to buy the Chin Spins instead, is this a temp sell out? or are they no longer manufactured?

Back