Matted hair...help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staceylwolf

I have had Chalupa for a week now. She's settling in nicely. Her coat is in awful shape. She's got really bad mats on each side. What should I do about them? Has anyone ever had to cut mats out of their chins hair? I'm not even sure if I could get a comb or brush thru then to brush them out without hurting her. Should I just leave her alone and she what happens? She taken a couple of really good dust baths and I noticed last night after her bath she was grooming herself, so I don't know if she can work the mats out herself.
Any suggestions?

How large are the mats? If they aren't huge, I would pull them out. Brushing or combing them would most likely pull them out anyway. I pulled a few out of a new rescue and he didn't even flinch. Now, I don't know how bad the mats are and how large of a space they cover. If it's a large space I wouldn't recommend pulling them out, but hopefully someone else can give better advice in that instance.

The most humane way to get them out is just to pluck them out. If you have a chinchilla comb, that works too. Just grab ahold and pull, and they will release that fur, and nice new fur will grow back. Cutting it leaves the chin a mess, and the hair may never grow back correctly.

the mats are pretty big, I don't know if I can pull them out. Maybe I can try to seprate them with a comb a little then try to pull them.

That may work, but even big mats do usually come out. Maybe get a flea comb to try if you don't have a chin comb.

I will work on her tonight. Do I have to pull hard? or will they come out easy. I think I'm just afraid to hurt her. I tried brushing her last night and she wanted no part of it.

You don't have to pull very hard, you will be surprised that most of them come out pretty easily. If she struggles a lot, do a few a day until you can get them all. Maybe give a rosehip or shreddie afterwards as well.

Last night they didn't seem too loose. I will try tonight. I'll update tomorrow on if I was successful :)

When I pulled the matts out they came out pretty easily. Just a quick tug and it was done. I agree with Chantel. Give a rosehip or shreddie afterwards. More for your sake then theirs. lol

see her's are really tight, I wonder if I just need to give them more time to come out easier. Maybe the long dust bath she took last night will help them come out. I'll let her take another bath tonight before I try. So far she doesn't like shreddies or rosehips, but she loves applewood twigs, so I'll give her a piece of that. She won't take anything from me, I have to set it in her cage then walk away and then she'll snatch it up and start munching, If I walk back over she'll drop it and just look at me.

Latest posts

Back