matted fur

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lola

Hello, I noticed my chinchilla has matted fur and heard that brushing her would help. I was looking for brushes and couldn't find any. any ideas on where to find them? thanks

you can gently tug the mats out with your fingers. because a chin fur slips so easily, it doesn't really hurt them to tug the mats out. if they won't come out with one gentle little tug, work them out with your finger tips. my bv boy gets small ones on his hip areas now and then, i just work them out.

chins don't really need grooming unless they are being shown.

I use a #3 grooming comb on my chins when I noticed them priming to get all the dead loose fur out. I bought mine from the Ryerson's. I heard awhile ago that they may stop selling them, but I'm not sure if they have or not. You can try e-mailing them or posting a wanted ad on here. Occasionally people with have some spares that they are willing to sell.

Just as an FYI, when I contacted the Ryersons about combs last month I was told they were sold out and they aren't sure when they will be getting more.

I heard this weekend Ryersons are looking to start making them themselves soon. Did not hear it from them but thats what I heard.

We don't have that kind of comb here and the closest I've found (to tell people here to buy when their animals do have matted fur) is the flea comb for dogs. Teeth are shorter but it's better than nothing.

When it's matted really really bad like some rescues we sometimes see, I just cut the worst part off and try combing the rest.

Out of my 4 chins, Gumby, my standard is prone to getting mats, no idea why.
I usually wait until it sticks out then gently pull at it.
But I' m really bad at it and he always runs away and won't let my hands near his butt area.
Tonight, with the help front husband, I followed the instructions chinnymom gave and gently worked the biggest mat out of him. He let out a few cries, but we got the job done.
Poor thing, it felt like animal cruelty.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1344434679639.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1344434679639.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 13
Back