Massive Seizures.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZChins

Pro Cage Cleaner Champion
Sahuarita, Arizona (a half hour south of Tucson)
Exactly a month ago I took in a female chin. She was very angry or so it seemed at the time, she would kack and squawk and just not want anything to do with me. But, she didn't seem like she was scared of me. I chalked it up to an unsocialized chinchilla.

Last night she had what I can only describe as the worst seizure I have ever seen a chin have. I've seen the Grand Mal seizures, this was worse than rolling around. She was jumping and kacking and acting like she was terrified.

After that first seizure she came out of it, but she had a few more smaller seizures. I emailed the vet and he thinks she has a brain issue, probably a tumor. The seizures came on so suddenly.

Do you think that her behavior with the kacking and squawking could have been a symptom of having a neurological disorder or a tumor? I've never seen a chin act quite like this before and I have had chins with neurological issues in my care a few times in the past.

Right now I am really worried about this chin. I can't get her to eat, she was eating last night. I'm thinking about taking her to be euthanized because she doesn't seem to be coming out of it and I don't want her to suffer any more.

Uggggg....

Did this chin my chance have a eye infection also? The worst seizures I have seen were from my herpes simplex 1 chin, the lesions on the brain and brain stem just caused the most horrid seiaures-from violent clonic to tonic, then limp like she was dead. I am sorry you have to deal with this type of problem, it is just sad to see.

Her eyes are clear. There was nothing before yesterday except for the really grouchy behavior that was wrong with this chin.

If I handle her, she seizes and goes limp in my hand just like your girl. An hour ago I thought she was dead it was so severe. Right now one of her front paws is just curled over...she has a really hard time moving food from her paw up to her mouth.

I don't think she's getting better. I'm probably going to take her in and have her euthanized tomorrow. I can't see a chin like this. Neurological issues, which cannot be resolved, are something that I hate seeing. If it's a tumor, she's just going to get worse. But who knows, maybe it's something else. Maybe she'll feel better later...I did get her to eat a bit. (I'm just trying to be hopeful!)

You might want to PM ClaireD if she does not see this and ask her if she has seen that, I know she has dealt also with alot of seizures.

The poor girl didn't stop having seizures. I tried to make her comfortable, but she died in my arms early this morning. This just happened so quickly with her. :( She couldn't have been more than four or five years old, poor little thing.

im so sry..
when me male had his seizures i was terrified. Still cant imagine how it would feel to lose them from it tho. :cry3:

Back