Malo - very old female Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lmbswimmer

I pretty much know what I have to do, but am looking for confirmation as to what my head is telling me vs. my heart.

I have a 16 yr old female chin, her name is Freckles. We received her when she was 12. She came to us with Malo and we brought her to a vet. dentist who is 3 hrs out. They took x-rays which showed her roots starting to progress into her eye sockets, but the vet didn't feel that was the issue at the time - they took 5-6 spurs off of her teeth also.

She is a lazy chewer. Even given apple sticks, pine blocks, other goodies, lots and lots of hay she mainly eats half pellets and leaves the rest behind. We are home number 4-5 that we know of. She really hates people. She does not bite, but it really stresses her to be held, looked at, or even for us to be in the chinchilla room. She will not tolerate other chinchillas.

She is a TINY chin to begin with. I would describe her as delicate, even totally healthy I have never liked how much I can feel her ribs in comparison to other chins.

She has started to excessively drool and I believe has cataracts - she has milkyness appearing in them. Her poop is normal, she is minimally eating, she is biting pellets in half and not finishing them. She more or less throws her hay around and she is not chewing on cardboard or chew toys or apple sticks.

She has been pawing at the side of her mouth and has removed a good chunk of fur from her mouth.

At her age I am thinking based on her vet history it might be time to say our final farewells and bring her to the vet for her last visit. I am really torn, I know how well they can hide pain, but she is still eating (granted not as much) and she is still pooping - though they are very small and hard.

Sigh.... I know any form of vet trip will be highly stressful, but I don't think she would survive the trip to the dentist and the x-rays. She slipped a huge amount of fur yesterday with me just trying to catch her to check out the drooly spot.

Should I keep going until more signs appear or should I do what my head is saying, but my heart doesn't want to accept by bringing her to the vet for the last time?

I think you know that it is time but that you have come here for kind words and affirmation that what you are doing is the right thing. I cannot remember which member on here that says this but they say something to the effect that it is always better to "do it a moment too soon rather than a second too late". We can only imagine how much she is suffering and can offer both you and her some kindness. She may not reward your efforts at kindness with snuggles and allowing you to scratch her but she knows that she has had a kind and stable home. Bless you in your decision.

They took x-rays which showed her roots starting to progress into her eye sockets, but the vet didn't feel that was the issue at the time

This statement makes me question the vet's interest in this chinchilla. Think about it, roots (bone) growing into your eyes. That is extremely painful, and will not get better. Your baby has had a long life, and there's only one thing you can do to end her suffering. I don't say this to be mean, but as someone who has cared for a chin suffering with malo. At this point the best thing you can do for her is take away her pain and let her go. I'm so sorry, it's never fun. :-(

I am sorry, it sounds based on my long term experience with many malo chins that the roots are advanced and its time. The description of her behavior is she is in significant pain and is reacting to this by saying "stay away", she sounds like she would be impossible to hand feed after any procedure and to be honest may not have a good reaction to being put under, old chins like this don't do well being put under for filings. She is more than likely hungry all the time because of the limited amount of food she is eating, it sounds like she is not on any pain meds and IMO the quality of life is poor. It hurts me to say this to anyone, I have had to make this decision over and over again but its time for her to cross the rainbow bridge, be free of pain and romp again with those that passed before her.

I cannot remember which member on here that says this but they say something to the effect that it is always better to "do it a moment too soon rather than a second too late".
It's my motto: rather a minute too soon than a second too late. For me as a chinchilla owner, I truly believe that the last, kindest act of love & compassion is to give them a dignified and peaceful ending. It is a privilege to be able to help end the pain for a sentient being.

Having read to OP I have to agree with Dawn. Freckles is not going to recover from this & she is fortunate to have such a caring owner who loves her enough to seek advice on this forum. I wish you both all the very best at this most difficult of times.

I will just say this after having watched my sister whither away and die in front of me due to breast cancer--where we HAD to watch this and were not able to ease and end her suffering, and also having to have my beloved cat, Sam put to sleep due to bladder blockage, as human beings we are lucky to be able to have the right to end the suffering of our pets. While I was able to hold both my sister and my cat in arms to say goodbye my cats passing was fast and easy and my sister's was not.

The kindest gift we can give those we love is to be with them until the very end of their time with us, hold them, kiss them, and let them know how much love and joy they brought into your life whether it be animal or human.

I am very sorry that you are going through this :( but everyone is correct in saying that it is time to let her go.

Thanks all in making the decision a little easier. It is never an easy thing to decide to do. My husband gets out of work right after lunch, so I think he is going to bring her in this afternoon.

It is a VERY hard decision but in the long run your chin will be much happier at the Rainbow bridge playing and waiting for someday in the far future to meet you again

This is a rough decision that no chin owner wants to make. I had to make this decision this past april with my 11 or so year old chin who had malo & I just looked back on her life with me. I had rescued her from a livestock auction so I could only imagine what her life was like before me but I understood that I loved her as much as I possibly could the 11 years that I had her & spoiled the heck out of her. I felt that she lived a great happy life and it was just time to say good bye. To this day it still brings tears to my eyes thinking about it but I know she is much happier now & no longer suffering.

Back