male groups?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamlite

I have a lady who is surrendering her 2 male chinchillas to me next weekend. They have been caged together for roughly 6 yrs. My question is, I have females at home. After quarentine, will they fight if I move them into the same room? I have never had 2 males live together and get along personally. I have heard of people that have had it work. Has anyone had male groups and females in the same room and have it work? Or has it ended with the males being seporated?

I think it depends on the chin. I have 2 brothers caged in the lower half of my FN 182 and 2 female cagemates caged in the upper half, and have never had problems.

In my herd, I have male pairs caged right next to females. Have never had a problem.

I have two pairs of males caged together in the same room as my breeding herd. One set is in a Quality Cage chinchilla mansion, and the other set is in the lower half of a FN with a female housed up top. These cages are in close proximity to my breeding runs and all chins can see each other. Personally I have never had a problem with any of my chins fighting but am aware that that can change at any given moment. I think it depends on the chin and each set of circumstances and although I have been fortunate in not having to separate bonded pairs, I am aware that can change at any time and am prepared for it. Good luck!

I have two males together in a room full of breeding females. Jasper is 11, raisin is a rescue who is 11+. They have been together about 6 or 7 years now with no issues. I've had a group of 5 young adults together until they were sold. Again in the same room as breeders. It can be done.

I these boys have never been around other chins they may react to females but as said, they may do fine. Just keep a close eye on them while they are settling in and the first few months they are in the same room. When females are in estrus they emit a scent males can smell if they are in the same room. That's why you need to watch their behavior closely for a few months.

Back