Making the call... when it's time to let go

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riven

Bad Chin
I've been going back and forth for the last month considering whether it was about time to put my yorkie to sleep. He's 14 1/2 years old, and if left to his own devices would probably outlive me.

Several years ago he had a stroke and kind of went downhill after that, he's night blind and fully blind in one eye due to an ucler. He has CHF, and he'll stare off at things for a very long time, he's nearly deaf, and sometimes it seems like he doesn't know who I am, then WHAM, he'll remember and get all happy like he hasn't seen me in a long time. A lot of times he just wonders around looking confused.

His teeth are horrible because the vet basically agreed that putting him down with his health problems would be a death sentence, he has bad and loose teeth and his breath smells a bit like death.

I don't mind cleaning up the messes in the house, but I don't want him to suffer. Sometimes he has good days and sometimes he has bad days, the bad days are starting to outweigh the good ones, and last year he stopped sleeping in my bedroom with me and instead sleeps on the couch.

I know that this is the right thing to do and I've made an appointment for tomorrow, but yet I feel like a traitor... I'm worried that tomorrow when he gets in the car happy to go that I won't be able to do it. My husband said that he won't do it because it's my dog and I should be there. This dog's been through everything with me, I know he deserves me there, so why is it so hard?

Awe sweetheart, I've been in your shoes many times.My yorkie Bailey was probably my once in a lifetime momma's girl who was with me through some of the hardest times in my life(father heart surgery then died from cancer,my cancer,my marriage at the age of 32 and instant Mom to a 9 year old daughter who is the light of my life and many more things that I can't even name). Having had the unfortunate experience of euthanizing several very beloved pets I have only one thing to tell you. If your heart isn't broken and feeling like it's ripped out of your chest then I would wonder if I was making the right choice.For me the choice to euthanize is the hardest gift I can ever give a pet who has given me so many gifts in their lifetime but it is also a blessing to relieve them of pain/suffering and the loss of their quality of life in a dignified and loving way.Just remember how much love he has given you and know that now it is time to return that love to him.He will be able to pass peacefully with you at his side and hearing your loving voice and touch.You will be in my prayers and if you just need someone to listen to-pm me and I'll happily give you my phone number.Just a suggestion but carry his favorite toy and blankie with him and give him a kiss and hug from me too.Tell him to find Momma/Nurse Bailey and she'll take him right under her wing until we can all be together again.

Is he incontinent? Is that what you mean by cleaning up messes?

Ultimately it's your decision, you are the one living with him and can see his quality of life. Someone suggested to me to make a list of the animal's top 3 things they like/like doing and once they can't anymore then it is time. I definitely agree that too soon is better than too late.

I also really like the idea of making their last day memorable. I read an article about an owner that did some of the dog's most favorite things and gave them an amazing last meal before they euthanized it. They made some unforgettable memories that last day. This is something I will definitely do for my moms 14 yr old sheltie when her time comes.

He's always been difficult to housetrain, I have to "retrain" him every so often, but it's gotten to the point like the other day he walked up by me, and just pee'd on the floor, didn't lift his leg or anything, just stood there and pee'd.

He's always slept with me until last year when he stopped, every once in a while if I sleep during the day because I worked nights he'll sleep with me during the day, otherwise he's been sleeping on the couch.

He used to love car rides, but now he gets in then wants right back out by the time we get down the drive way. He'll wonder around the yard and he won't hear me. He always liked to play tug-o-towel ( with a towel, not a rope, lol) but since his teeth hurt he can't do that either. Sometimes he can't see good enough even during the day to go up and down the stairs on his own, but if he has someone near him like a person or another dog he is fine, which makes me think that his sight is worse than I think it is.

Tomorrow after the kids leave for school we'll have breakfast together before we go. He will be able to eat sausage...

We use the Rule of 3: Pick his 3 favorite things when he was healthy and trained and content, whatever those are.

Can he still do them all? If not, then it's time to make the call and realize that by sparing him further pain (because I'm sure his mouth hurts from the teeth problems, and he probably doesn't *want* to pee in the house, etc.) you're doing the kind thing even though it's hard on you.

The worst part of owning pets is that they don't outlive us. :( I'm sorry about your little man.

I paid a horse vet to come to my house and put my beloved Fluffy (16 y/o cat) to sleep. It was nice because she was hapy until the end and not stressed. I'm sorry. I have to face that with my 16 y/o cat Diamond in the near future.

Geez, what a hard decision to make. We've made that decision before with our 15 year old cat. She developed a lump on her tail. The vets did tests and they came back "inconclusive". We were going to have her tail removed and had the date set up and everything. However, she started to go downhill really fast. It got to the point where she could barely walk without falling down, wouldn't eat and just wanted to hide all the time. We made that decision to put her down. It was difficult, but I knew her suffering was over. I had her since kindergarten and I was 20!! She really meant a lot to me.

I agree with everyone's suggestion "of his three favorite things". You really have to think about his quality of life. I think you would be doing the right thing by putting him down. He can't play his favorite game anymore, can't enjoy car rides, has trouble getting around because he can't see good and his teeth are hurting. You also said the "bad days are outweighing the good ones". This will only get worse. You gave him a wonderful life. Just take comfort that he knows he is loved, had a better life than a lot of pets and now he can rest in peace. Ultimately, it is your decision and you are the only one who can make that call.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

This morning I took Winnie in for his appointment. We spent the morning cuddling in bed, we ate soft cat food for breakfast (lol, he always tried to get it when the cats were eating it) and we rode in the car with the window down, well until we both got too cold. On the way there he stood up off my lap and licked the tears from my face as if to say it's okay, it's all going to be okay.

He's never been scared of the vet, because I used to work at one and he would go to work with me almost everyday. Dr. Lawson let me hold him for the injection, he was calmer that way, he started to get nervous and I just put my face to his and told him it would be okay and he sat so quietly, then he was gone.

This has been the hardest pet for me to put down, he was my first dog that was all mine, we've been through 7 homes together, a severe break up, a marriage, two kids, and almost through two college degrees ( I'll be done in May). I gave him the best ending I could, one without pain and suffering.

Aww.. *hugs* RIP Winnie. I'm glad you spent some wonderful moments together before he went to the Rainbow Bridge.

Back