Making ledges, hanger bolts.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nerk

Chinchilla Servant
I just bought my girl a FN182. Now this will be a huge change from her smaller cage which she's had for 6 years. I wanted to make her more wooden ledges. The previous owner had made four smaller ones before. I found the kiln dried pine, stainless steel washers, stainless steel nuts, but for the life of me I cannot find stainless steel hanger bolts...:banghead:
Where did you get yours?
Did you use another type of metal that is not toxic?
I just really need some help, I want her out of her old cage ASAP, it's riddled with plastic(she doesn't chew on it, but I don't want to risk it). I'm thinking of blocking off the top part and just have her in the bottom for now.
Thanks anyone who can help <3!

I'm not sure what kind of metal the hanger bolts we use are, but we get them at Menards/Home Depot/Lowes in the picture framing and hanging section. With washers and wing nuts on the bolts, our boys can't access the bolts at all. I doubt it makes a difference what kind of metal you use at all. I've never seen my guys try to chew on the metal, and have never heard of others doing it either.

For branches we just bought whatever hanger bolts were in the specialty section on the wall of hardware at lowes. The bolt goes all the way in and if you get it stuck and it doesn't you can just stack washers until the threads are covered and it closes tight.

You can find them at Lowes or Home Depot, but you can also purcase them on Amazon or Ebay. If you are going to make alot of ledges it may be more cost efficiet to buy 25-50 at a time. You can then make more ledges when you need them.

I got mine at Lowe's. I didn't know where to find them, so I had an associate help me. Most important thing I discovered - they don't sell the tool to attach them in the store - I got mine off Amazon. I highly recommend getting one because using the lock-nut method is a pain in the patoot after the first bolt :)

Latest posts

Back