Lung issue

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tagna

Chin lover
So one of my fosters noticed one of the chins was breathing rapidly. Everything else is fine. He is eating, pooping, ect.

Into the vets today. He can't seem to get a full breath in. No noise in his lungs, no raspy sound and his heart sounds good too.

Off for x rays. They see spots on the x ray in his lungs. Donut like objects. I should be getting them emailed to me.

They put him on baytril and my regular vet will look at the x rays when he gets in.

Anyone dealt with something similiar? Last year we had a chin with a URI that had more typical symptoms: discharge, raspy breathing, lethargic.

I have the same thing going on with one of my rescue chins. He has that deep belly breathing that makes no sense. It isn't an infection. But, we were waiting it out to see if it would resolve since he was so new to us here. So, we haven't gotten xrays done yet, the vet talked about using a nebulizer for him.

One thing it could be is a fungal infection of the lungs. Those can be a lot different than the URIs and lung problems caused by bacterial infection. If a chin has been kept in dirty conditions and the air had a lot of ammonia in it, that can cause a lot of issues in the lungs and make chins more susceptible to things like fungal infections.

You'll have to let us know what your vet thinks about it. My little guy hasn't gotten any better or any worse in the last month. That reminds me, I should make an appointment for him sometime soon for a check up.

Has this chin always been like this or did it start up suddenly?

Just spoke with the vet since they just emailed me the x rays. Wow! They are unreal. So she said a fungal infection looks different but she is going to have my regular vet have a look and see what he thinks. He gets in tomorrow. I will get the pics of the x rays up asap.

60e521742f6a88a51f3cc78a26498c8a_zps2e72a1ec.jpg

674dd60cd1755bd965de6e774ad4a155_zpscfe97b88.jpg

Well my regular vet is back and diagnosed this chin. Another chin in the cage beside this chin also became sick. Bordetella. There is a new bunny in my fosters home. My vet feels that is the carrier.

So first order is to get the chins well. Fingers crossed.

Was this rescue a recent one from a poor husbandry situation?

No, the original chin to show symptoms has been in the rescue for almost three years. The foster who has him, keeps cages very clean.

The only issue with the first chin is that he has a leaky eye which there has never been a cause found.

Latest posts

Back