Love to pee!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JodiO

Hi everyone!!!
I have 2 bonded boys that are almost 3 months old. They live in a 3 level home (pics on my profile) complete w/ pyrex pans on the bottom and middle floor. They do pee in the pans (filled w/ pine shavings) but they also pee EVERYWHERE else as well....almost never on their shelves but a lot on the floors. The bottom level has melamine flooring and there is almost always 3 or 4 puddles to greet me every morning!
My question: Is there a way to get Ben & Jerry ( aka Chewy & Pooey) to use the pans/ shavings more?? They just seem to pee anywhere on the floors & I hate to have them scamper through it ( eww!).
Any & all suggestions are welcome!!
Thanks !

Unfortunately, not really. I have several very messy boys that will go everywhere. Since they already know they can go in the pans, it wouldn't do much to put soiled bedding in there to show them. My boys go in their litter pans, but they pee just about every where else on the bottom of their cage as well.

What about fleece liners for the bottom of their cage? It will absorb the pee so they aren't walking in it. I use all fleece liners in my cages and change them out every 3 days or so. Just have extras on hand so you can take the dirty liners out, throw them in the wash, and put some fresh liners in.

I agree with Stacie, unfortunately some chins just refuse to only pee in one spot. I've had litter pans in all of my chins' cages and only one of my girls religiously pees only in her pan. The others would pee in them but then also pee wherever else.

If you don't want to use bedding fleece liners may be your only other option to soaking up the pee.

Have to agree with my expert friends Alli and Stacie--they go where they want too. I have litter pans in all my chins cages as well and most of them use their litter pan, but I have a couple who use both the pan and the floor. It's still worth it for me to use the litter pans as it's used most often and easier to clean out every other day than the entire cage

Back