Lots of Slimy Vaginal Fluid?!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CutiePie

Member Here :)
Not going to go into detail as I just need some advise..quickly.
I bought some chinchillas from a guy who bred chinchillas on the side. He needed a home for 3 female. Mom and 2 daughters.
The mom chin seamed VERY plump but the guy said he didnt breed her though.
Been home with them sine earlier this afternoon and just picked up the mom chin o find her female parts and belly soaked in a clear slimy fluid!
Is this pee or does this sound like labor? She is also acting different than the others, sitting off alone and cleaning herself a lot.

Is chin pee slimy at all? whats going on!?!!

Im freeking

It sounds like she could be in labor. They usually don't deliver in the evening, so I would be worried that she's been in labor for a while. Is she hunched over or stretching out? Does she look fatigued?

If you want to go to an emergency vet, and are near DC, I recommend Pender Veterinary Centre for emergencies. They were excellent to work with.

If she is pregnant you should be able to usually feel the babies moving if you hold her belly on your hand.

Fluids from pregnancy don't usually feel "slimy", slick maybe, not not slimy. With labor you will see a "squatting" and she will seem to be concentrating. Also check her nipples to look if they are reddened and very long, possibly even having milk in them.

Other than labor it's possible that she has pyometera which is a infection of the reproduction system and needs to be treated immediately by a vet with strong antibiotics like Baytril.

I would double check the sexes of the "daughters" as well if this breeder was not knowledgeable. If the daughters are about 111 days old... it's very possible mom was bred back.

I think in an emergency it's hard to have too much detail, so don't worry about that! You gave some good information on the situation. So is the fluid watery and slick, or thick and "slimy". Also is it off colored or clear?

I personally will be around this evening to check in, and I'm sure others will chime in soon. Right now I think the most important thing is to find out if she in labor, or has pyometra.

The fluid is clean, thin, and slick. She didnt have this at the "breeders" place as I checked her over. She didnt have it a few hours ago cause I was holding her. This happened within a hour or two.
She has been hunched over or laying stretched out either on her side or flat out. She has been licking herself "down there" a few times also.
I tried holding her to feel for babies but didnt feel anything. She is just plump feeling.

That sounds more like embryonic fluid than pyometra discharge. I'd keep an eye on her and watch for some babies...

If you don't have a baby safe cage better start looking quickly!

Double check the genders of her "daughters". Sounds to me like she was mated and the mating plug slipped out releasing all of the sperm and semen. I've had it happen here a couple times and it will literally gush out.

I got one of her daughters and she IS a female for sure.
Uh, I feel like a new mom, Im worried to death!

Did you double check both the daughters' genders?

If you are truly worried, then you should take her to a vet. I think that's the only way your mind may be eased.

As Sycamore Chins said, Pender Veterinary Center is good. Here's their website: http://www.pendervet.com/pender-emergency-centre.html

My regular vet clinic, Blue Ridge Veterinary Associates, also has 24/7 emergency service, although I've never used it (they've been very good when I've been there during regular hours). They're' a little out of the way from Maryland, but it's worth it (same goes for Pender). http://www.blueridgevets.com/

Wishing you the best...

Could it be pyometra?
I dont know if it could be that though cause she had only one litter a little over a year ago. I dont think that would happen now a year later...possible or no?
Also, I cleaned her up and she isnt leaking that discharge anymore, just a tiny bit here and there..

Pyometra doesn't really have any association with being pregnant, or even having litters. If an animal is not spayed, they can get pyometra, it can happen at any time.

Does the discharge smell? (Isn't that a sign of whether it could be pyometra?)

I know my black chin had a discharge one time when she was in heat. Could it not be that?

She is acting her normal self. Hoping all over, playing, eating, ect. Laying down like chins do. I dont know what could be wrong.
The discharge has NO smell at all.

Could she be in heat?

I don't mean to discourage you from going to the vet, but I similarly panicked when my chin was in heat. I have never seen discharge from my other two, and its never happened since. There was also no smell, it was clear, etc. But I am far less experienced than others on this thread.

If it is enough to get her belly wet , that's not a normal amount of discharge, most chins you won't even notice they are in heat, and when they are it's similar to a human's vaginal discharge ( not during a period, but during ovulation ).

thats the kind of discharge it reminds me of! ovulation discharge.
I am not sure if the wet on her belly was from the discharge or pee as she was setting up on a ledge she peed all over and was sitting in it so...

My first chinchilla had pyometra, and displayed the same symptoms. Clear vaginal discharge with no smell, and was also her normal active self. These things always happen at the worst possible times (like 10.30 on a Saturday night....happened to me at midnight on a Sunday).

She needs to be taken to a vet tonight. Not tomorrow morning, and not Monday. Pyometra can be deadly, and she needs to be treated right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back