Losing Bond with Chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemma

To the point.. I've bonded with one very well, used to handle her and everything. She is hyper and crazy, however she would always return to me, and I could handle her.

Now I can't, she will not remain in my arms for safety - she will jump even if I am going down stairs! (scary). She will find a hiding spot (preferable under beds) and stay!

The aroma she releases, and the grunting!, and contact calling all night.
This is all new! Is this puberty? Or have I done something to her that is unforgivable? I never has these negative reactions from her before.

Can you amend a bond? I miss the bond and I miss being able to sleep!

It could definitely be a hormonal thing that is happening as she's getting older. Possibly this is the beginning of her heat cycle really affecting her mood and personality. How old is she? I've had some females act this way for awhile at around 7 months, they get very territorial sometimes, as well.

I adopted them both at 6 months, and now they are 3.

They both beg for my attention but they are very wild.
Gemma (previously spoke about), is very welcoming to scratches and will grunt if she doesn't want to be pet - and NEVER handled. She'll leap on my lap from the cage and thats how I get her out..

I'm wondering if the chasing to get her back is traumatic? I was told about the tail hold however she moves too fast and I get too nervous.
It is so bad sometimes I'll send her twirling in the air - or worse - slamming into something. I try so hard not to make it a bad experience and hold a lot of paitience to corner her.

Alea, the other female is VERY aggressive. The aggression is getting worse, I'm not sure if this is biting but she really does lunge for my hand (its not a normal chinchilla hey are you tasty?), and has broken skin once (doesn't hurt too bad). I close the cage doors and she flings everything in the cage (like a tantrum).

I'm guessing thier raging teenagers?
Or do I have forever wild chins?

It's strange that her personality would change so dramatically this late in life. But, it can happen.

You should be very gentle with her from here on out. Don't chase her around if you can avoid it even if it means that she has to stay in her cage. Chasing can be very traumatic for a chin, or it can make them a little mean. I don't know if this is the case with your girl, but it's a good idea to take it easy with her. Let her come to you when you want to hold her, or she can just keep to herself.

Or, she's just a bad little wild girl.

Has anything changed in their environment lately? Any new smells or sounds that could be upsetting them. Mine got really antisocial when I used an air freshener they didnt like.

No, I mean they had 3 previous homes before me, I rescued them, and they've always been shy. I accepted that but I feel exercise is important so I try getting them out. If I don't, Gemma flings around the cage and even split her nose open once. One thing I know they hate is my bird. Everytime he speaks (African grey) they pin up or fly in the hideout. They are very reactive to his sounds during play time (there's no way to make that bird quiet). He can be obnoxiously loud, so i have them on the other side/floor of the house.

Ill try to find a way to not handle them and let them play but Gemma won't return to the cage, Alea does. Any tips or other suggestions to improve our relationships?

And are tantrums normal? Alea literally reacts immediately when I close the cage by flinging food bowl, hideouts, and kicks out ALL bedding (even right after cleaning!).

I guess I have 2 problem childs (love them anyway).

I'm going through the same thing with my Male chinchilla actually. He has always been very hyper and very crazy since the day we got him, But, he always would crawl on us, and let us semi touch him. But now he goes absolutely crazy if we get near him. We did buy him a cage more than half the size he was in, and that was when it started he seems to love it though. Just lately i've gotten him back to where he crawls on me. I use treats as rewards, and I try to let him come to me, Every time I pick him up, ill give him a treat. (which isn't often). I think in the long run it'll make things better. But Chinchillas are very strange animals. Very rarely does one like to be pet/scratched/picked up one day they love you and the other they just want to do what they want to do. But we love them anyway :)

I've avoided assembling the other half of my Ferret Nation to avoid furthor injuries, however I'm working to add it with plenty of shelving.

If you don't mind, could I see a picture of your cage and how its set up for a fellow hyperactive? I would very much appreciate that!

What treats do you use?

I tried rosehips, but only Alea eats them, so Gem hasn't had a treat in ages (i'm like the mother who never lets thier children eat chocolate!)
Others say raisons (once a day), but I even get tummy aches from them I am too nervous for thier itty stomachs (its like a raison pie to them, imagining holding a raison with two hands!).

I can...but how do i post pictures on this site? It's telling me to copy and paste an image from a URL and thats it... Can i upload directly?
as far as treats go, we have the Tropical Carnival small animal treats, it has some dried fruits and nuts and raisins . we only give maybe 2 a day or less. they will be ok, (unless they are 6 months or smaller) what I normally do is give them the sweet stuff 3-4 times a week, and then i give my chin a wheetie (plain) or a cheerio :) Petsmart or petco has the treat mix..but

I give boco 2 raisins a day and he is fine although he does go insane when I reach for the raisin box it's really funny watch.

Fruits, nuts, seeds, veggies, dairy, and meat should all be avoided as treats. Chins are designed for a bland diet of mostly grasses/grain. Feeding your chin two raisins a day is like giving a kid 2 giant pieces of chocolate cake a day. There may not be noticeable effects now, but long term damage is being done. Treats are supposed to be used sparingly, like 1-2 per week, not per day.

My boys think apple sticks are treats, and they get those everyday. They get one treat a week, right now we have rosehips. Sometimes if I make hay cookies for them, or buy some from a member on here, then they get up to 3 a week, but those are mostly hay.

Latest posts

Back