Loose Hay Mangers/Thingies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lulilac

Dire Chinchilla Keeper
What sort of container do you have in your cage to hold your chin's loose hay? Right now, I'm just serving it in a pile on one of the shelves in their cages.

Its fun to watch my younger Chin, Hugo, bound up to the hay pile and start nomming in ecstacy. He will eat nearly all of it in one sitting. His 'brother', Barnaby, is not such a hay fanatic. He will chew on a few pieces and leave the rest to make a mess with. I just recently got them some Oxbow hay, and they both seem to prefer it to the KayTee stuff they had formerly.

Anyway, what sort of receptical do you have? : )

Lu

I use hay bags. The hay seems to stick to the inside of the fleece and is less messy when the chins decide to pick and choose their hay without it all coming out at one time. They're easy to clean and they hook directly on the side of the cage.

I made a fleece hay bag. It sticks out so my chinnies can get to it easy and the bag clips onto the cage :)

I use a coconut and a pine bin in Ezio and Altair's cage. Zipper will ONLY eat his off of his hammock. Weirdo!

Rhino is spoiled and has two places in his cage to eat hay, lol. one is a large metal coop cup hanging off his cage beside a high shelf, and the other is a small/medium size square clear glass kitchen canister with really thick glass, put on its side on the bottom of the cage. i use the lid from the canister for his toy box in the cage bottom too, :))

he eats from both, and i regularly see him perched on top of the hay canister as well, since it's under a shelf and gives him a cosy lil 'hidey spot'.

I tried a metal hay manger from a pet store and it didn't work worth a darn, the hay would just keep slipping out between the bars.

I followed someone else's suggestion and I use empty tissue boxes now. One of my girls will tear up the box eventually, but one box seems to last a few weeks before needing to be replaced. I punch a hole or two into the box and clip it to the side of the cage, so they can't flip it as easily.

i would be concerned about the inks and glues used in a tissue box. boxes like those are alright for playtime, but shouldn't be in the cage for the chins to chew on all the time.

In one chins cage, I use a pickle jar from Wal Mart, found in the baking pan aisle. For another chins cage, I use a penny candy jar from Wal Mart, also found in the baking/storage aisle. In another I use the wooden hidey house he came with, turned upside down sonce he liked to sleep in the glass jar I originally had in there for hay. And in another I use a terra cotta pot from Lowe's garden department.

I cut the bottom of food boxes (fruit snacks, crystal lite, hambuger helper) for my pair I use the Keurig Cup empty boxes and have used tissue boxes in the past.

Most of the food boxes are made with food grade dye. But my chins only shred the boxes and they last a while. I have also in a pinch used empty toilet paper or paper towel rolls. but they can be very inconsistant with the amount of glue they use. some use none and those I save and others use 3 strips of glue and those i toss.

i am trying to get my sweetie to make me some wood ones. and hopefully they wont pee in it!!

I use a hay bag for my boys. I feel like a lot of it gets wasted deep down in the bag where they can't get it though..

I tried a metal hay manger from a pet store and it didn't work worth a darn, the hay would just keep slipping out between the bars.

I used to put the loose hay on the shelf and use the metal hay hangers for hay cubes. I now just place the cubes on the shelf because one of my 8 week old kits managed to get tangled up in the metal hanger. When I found him, my first thought was that he was going to loose his leg, it was so twisted up in the hanger, swollen, ice cold and turned around backwards. After carefully releasing his leg, we had him checked. No broken bones, no loss of use of the leg. He was just fine 3 days later. After this, I would not recommend the metal hay hangers to anyone.

I use a terracotta pot as well. when summer comes and we have more selection I'd like to try and get an azalea(?) pot instead though because the regular shaped one I have gets tipped over easily.

I use a terra cotta pot too, that's secured to the shelf of the cage with a screw and wing nut, since he kept tipping it over. He also likes to stand on it and use it as a perch, lol.

He also has a hanging wire ball with a bell on it for hay, though he prefers the terra cotta pot since it has easier access. And he also has a wicker ball that can hold hay in it, which he loves chewing on and actually seems to be eating the hay out of it too.

Latest posts

Back