Looking for a wearable hammock

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

djeaton

I'm a brand new member of the list and just got my first chinchilla this evening. She's 3-4 months old. She absolutely loved nestling down in the hood of my son's hoodie. He ended up turning it around and wearing it backwards with Sweetie curled up and asleep in it for a couple of hours. This made me wonder if there was something like this by design. Maybe some kind of pouch you could wear. I've looked and can't seem to find anything like this. Anyone got any ideas?
Daniel

I can't say as I've heard of a wearable hammock before. It's a rare chin that will sit still for long enough to use one! It could just be that she hunkered down in there because she's scared and in a new environment, and you may find that she starts ripping and tearing in a more "chin like" manner as she gets more comfortable there. Also, as she grows, she may find that the hood is a bit too warm for her liking.

Congratulations on your new chin and welcome to CnH. We look forward to seeing pictures. :)

ahhh maybe the reason for her red ears in the pic on your other thread. (she did look too warm)

Like Peggy said she is probably just scared and when she becomes more comfortable I doubt she will still want to be so confined. When I have to hand feed babies they do like to be cuddled and kept very warm ( I often have them in a fleece pouch that I hang around my neck under my shirt to keep them close) but as they grow they want outta there! LOL. I would hold off buying or making a "pouch" because I doubt she would use it
for long.

Again Congrats on the new family member :)

We look forward to seeing pictures. :)
OK. Twist my arm. LOL
CIMG2714.JPG

There are no breeders or rescues that I could find in the state. She's a "rescue" from the local PetSmart. LOL Was only in the store for about 3 hours before we got her, so hopefully she wasn't too traumatized by the experience. After reading the posts here, seems we can pretty much do the opposite when it comes to PetSmart's advice. Wrong food, wrong hay, wrong diet, and so forth. They even tried to sell us a ball-of-death, but we passed on it until we could get home and research things. They even told us that the life expectancy is 8-10 years. Made that sound like a good thing. On the diet of stuff they sell, that's probably the case. Sounds like you can double that with proper care and feeding though. We hope to get all that rectified today. We did give her one small raisin. I'm so ashamed! Feel like I need to go to confession now.
D.

There was a thread full of us saying what we did wrong when we were all first new to chins! You are here, and learning, and that is the best thing you can do!

Love the pic!!! Congrats on the new addition!!! Welcome!

Welcome to the forum Daniel. I'm a hedgehog person, so no advice from me. But it looks like you have made the first major improvement by finding a good resource to read and learn how to properly care for you new friend. As you read along you'll find there are lots that were given bad advice, especially from pet stores. We won't hold that against you. :wave3:

Aww Sweetie is adorable! I joined here too learn about chins, I get my first chin next weekend! I wish you the best of luck with her and everyone here is SO friendly and you will learn TONS like I have already!! Good luck :)

I agree with Peggy. She will probably not stay in the hoodie very long once she feels more comfortable. She was most likely scared and trying to hide.

Congrats on your new chinnie. And Welcome

I think the closest chin-safe item you might be able to get for your chin are:
- Fleece houses
- Fleece tubes or wooden tunnels
- Corner hammock (my chin sleeps under the hammock)
- Hidey house

These would be great snoozing spots that are somewhat enclosed, making them feel more comfortable and safe.

I have a fleece pet bed, that looks similar to the attached picture, it could simulate a hoodie?? that is the place my one boy stay most of the day. he will NOT go in a hammock! cant figure out why.
when they get into their new cage i am going to buy the fleece tubes and see if he will go in there.
btw sweetie is a cutie!

Attachments

• pet bed.jpg
    pet bed.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 111
aww congratz on your new cutie pie and welcome to the forum!!

don't worry about doing all the "bad stuff".....alot of us made mistakes, including me...but as long as you do something to change the "bad stuff" into the "good stuff" then you'll find a much happier chinny and you'll be a much happier chin-mom/dad knowing that you're doing the right stuff for your baby =D

good luck!!

Right now, she's pretty much staying hidden in an empty cereal box. LOL I'll have to look into some fleece hiding places later. BTW, what are the pros and cons of those fleece cage liners versus some kind of litter?
D.

Just get a fleece sweatshirt! Or a fleece blanket or something.

... We did give her one small raisin. I'm so ashamed! Feel like I need to go to confession now.
D.

:zipped1: I did the exact same thing when I had my first chin because that is what the pet store told me to give to him as a treat and his food/pellets also had raisins and dried papaya and banana chips as well!, Ugh, thank goodness for this forum, hopefully, I've been absolved.

It's great that you are here by the way, and learning is always a good thing! As far as a wearable hammock, maybe wait and see how she does in a few weeks? There are lots of members here who make great fleece products. I get mine from camphorchins.com.

I don't want to sound like I am harping ( well maybe I am a little but I am concerned) Because you are a new owner and not very familiar with chins in general and their normal behaviors. I REALLY wouldn't use one of those sugar glider bonding pouches(except on very young hand fed babies who can not regulate their body temps) nor keep the chin in the pocket for any extended amount of time. Heat stroke is not something to play around with. It is something they generally do not recover from. It causes permanent brain damage. They become very lethargic and docile. What you might mistake as being cuddly and loveable may be the beginning of an over heating issue. Your chin did look too warm to me in your intro pic and I just do not want to see any harm come to your new precious pet OK I swear I will shut up about this issue now :).

I don't want to sound like I am harping ( well maybe I am a little but I am concerned) Because you are a new owner and not very familiar with chins in general and their normal behaviors. I REALLY wouldn't use one of those sugar glider bonding pouches(except on very young hand fed babies who can not regulate their body temps) nor keep the chin in the pocket for any extended amount of time.
An abundance of caution is the best approach. I appreciate the concern. Overheating is definitely something I want to avoid. But I also want her to be comfortable. When we hold her and have a fleece blanket on, it's because we have the room slightly cooler than we normally would for *her* benefit. And when she's in a sleepy mood, she seems to want to dig down deeper into it any time we try to uncover her. In a sense, we are trying to cool her off and she's trying to get warmer. So I guess the question is this...when do you not give her what she seems to want?

Oh, and on the topic of that photo....her ears were not really red. The flash just made it look that way because the camera was so close. Was trying to get them to back off a bit and use the zoom, but that didn't work too well.
D.

Congrats on the new addition!! She is adorable! Our Poo loved to snuggle when we got him.... now he just runs away when we try to sit with him...:cry3:

Latest posts

Back