Local Hay?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so for those of you who buy hay locally, what questions do you ask them? I obviously want to make sure it is safe, but have never dealt with anyone other than say, Kleenmamas.

You want to make sure they don't have chemical fertilizer in use. I have had people claim years ago that there shouldn't have been sheep or goats(can't remember which) On the property in 8 years however I have spoken with ranchers and they told me thats not something they'd worry about...

People are HUGE on using fertilizer anymore, so that is the main thing I would ask about. Ask how the hay is kept after it is cut. Is it kept in a dry barn? Is it left outside? You want something that is stored in dry area. What is the hay mixed with, if anything? Can you see the hay, and check the hay for mold or to insure it is NOT wet in the center of the bale?

We store our hay in the barn, and while the barn isn't the prettiest it is kept out of the rain, it's dried the proper time, and placed in the barn as soon as it's baled so it doesn't get wet and mold. The only fertizler we use is manure, nothing chemical here.

With anything though they can do their best to make sure THEY don't use chemicals, however it won't stop the neighboring farmer or farmer up the road from using it.

Last edited:
I've never heard of the fertilizer concern that Megan has mentioned, but when I started to get my hay from my local feed store I just made sure that no pesticides have been used on it, as well as checked out the hay before purchase. They told me that if I found any mold what so ever, I could bring it right back for a refund. Never had an issue with it, and the chins love it! I've been feeding them hay from the local feed store for god, 4 years? I'll never go back to shipping hay/getting it from the pet store.

Good luck! It's sooo much cheaper buying it by the bale! :)) (makes the room smell sooo nice too!)

Actually Brit- I said Fertlizer (because I was thinking of the goat/sheep manure on the land), but yes it is pesticide you need to watch out for.

When I started buying hay in Modesto and I was paranoid I bought a hay moisture meter off ebay for 20.00, I use it now again since I am back to buying from the feed store-yeah I know I am a roid.

Back