Lixit chinchilla duster

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tati121

During my search for Blue Cloud dust I came across this funky little doodad for chin dusting - it's called the Lixit chinchilla duster. It is made out of plastic but since chin's don't dust everyday I would just put it in Watson's cage at the end of play time to entice him back to his cage for bath time.

Has anyone ever used this, seen it in person, or know anything about it?

In the past I used the bath houses I still have a ton of them in storage. They work great being that you don't usually leave them in the cages long enough to get really chewed up. Right now I use ceramic dog bowls. The little ceramic houses are cute but way to small IMPO

I'm gonna agree with Kristy on this one, I think it's a bit too small for a chinchilla.

The company makes a bigger one for chinchilla's but I can not find it anywheres, so we use the standard:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753273

This is actually the exact one I have. I'm not necessarily looking for a new dust house, I just thought the Lixit one was cool and space agey :neener:

I use a glass jar I bought for $4.99 from Wal-mart. It's sold in the bulk grocery aisle - used to be filled w/ pickles!!

I use glass fishbowls... broder, that ceramic one is too small for adult chins. I've had chins that can barely fit in them (I used them for hay holders and had chins climb in to sleep), and the sleeping is a tight fit, so I know they wouldn't be able to roll properly.

I work at Petsmart (in the dog Hotel) and this dust bath always makes me laugh when I browse the small animal aisle! When I got Tug he came with a pink one like that. His big butt does not fit in it and to be honest he is to big to comfortably fit into the dust house I bought max (the second one you posted). I had Kin for awhile and he would step into Max's dust house, dig around but not roll in it. I just happened to put Tug's ceramic dust house out one day for Kin to play with and he instantly jumped into it and rolled all around. He must have had that one at his old house. I don't recommend it to be honest. I've been told that Chinchilla's can't be overweight and I'm a little unsure if most Chin's are Max's or Tug's size (Tug is about twice the size of Max, both are full grown) but if they are Tug's size then your chin won't fit in it! Although the image of Tug climbing in to the ceramic house and his big ol' chin butt sticking out was rather funny! :laughitup:

As for your original question, I have seen them in petsmart but they are always small, like for a hamster. They are pretty cool looking though and I did pick it up! I think I even said "If I had a smaller animal I'd get one of these" to my boyfriend!

Ashley

I'm gonna agree with Kristy on this one, I think it's a bit too small for a chinchilla.

This is actually the exact one I have. I'm not necessarily looking for a new dust house, I just thought the Lixit one was cool and space agey :neener:

I use glass fishbowls... broder, that ceramic one is too small for adult chins. I've had chins that can barely fit in them (I used them for hay holders and had chins climb in to sleep), and the sleeping is a tight fit, so I know they wouldn't be able to roll properly.

I work at Petsmart (in the dog Hotel) and this dust bath always makes me laugh when I browse the small animal aisle! When I got Tug he came with a pink one like that. His big butt does not fit in it and to be honest he is to big to comfortably fit into the dust house I bought max (the second one you posted). I had Kin for awhile and he would step into Max's dust house, dig around but not roll in it. I just happened to put Tug's ceramic dust house out one day for Kin to play with and he instantly jumped into it and rolled all around. He must have had that one at his old house. I don't recommend it to be honest. I've been told that Chinchilla's can't be overweight and I'm a little unsure if most Chin's are Max's or Tug's size (Tug is about twice the size of Max, both are full grown) but if they are Tug's size then your chin won't fit in it! Although the image of Tug climbing in to the ceramic house and his big ol' chin butt sticking out was rather funny! :laughitup:

As for your original question, I have seen them in petsmart but they are always small, like for a hamster. They are pretty cool looking though and I did pick it up! I think I even said "If I had a smaller animal I'd get one of these" to my boyfriend!

Ashley

hmm....Are we talking about the larger version of the link I posted? (Not the pink one I linked to, didn't see the big one.) I saw the pink one at the store, and on the back was a picture of a blue one and a chin in it.

Maybe like their exercise wheels, they are showing a small, SMALL chin.

EDIT:

Look here:
http://www.superpetusa.com/product-list/ceramic-bath-house-for-chinchilla-large.htm

You guys think this one is too small?

Last edited:
The ceramic ones are cute in my opinion but I only use them as a cool hidey house. I have used all sorts but to keep the dust in, something like the bath house is ideal but the plastic is dangerous even if only in there for a short period of time. They are also pricey: $16.99 usually. I like these cookie jars from walmart. They are inexpensive also.
l_102aeddeea2e40e6a7ecdbda7d91fe6b.jpg

Like I said, the other ones are just cute but not big enough for adults IMO.
l_9e462798052e490dbb8002c2879d18f5.jpg

hmm....Are we talking about the larger version of the link I posted? (Not the pink one I linked to, didn't see the big one.) I saw the pink one at the store, and on the back was a picture of a blue one and a chin in it.

Maybe like their exercise wheels, they are showing a small, SMALL chin.

EDIT:

Look here:
http://www.superpetusa.com/product-list/ceramic-bath-house-for-chinchilla-large.htm

You guys think this one is too small?

I have the larger one and it is way to small for a Chinchilla Tug's size. He put his head and front shoulders in but his butt stuck out and in the air. Since he came with this bath house I'm not surprised his coat was in such bad shape when I first got him. Max is about half the size of Tug (he is an adult male also) and he fits into it but it doesn't leave him much room to turn and roll. I don't think he would get a proper cleaning from it.

Ashley

I have the larger one and it is way to small for a Chinchilla Tug's size. He put his head and front shoulders in but his butt stuck out and in the air. Since he came with this bath house I'm not surprised his coat was in such bad shape when I first got him. Max is about half the size of Tug (he is an adult male also) and he fits into it but it doesn't leave him much room to turn and roll. I don't think he would get a proper cleaning from it.

Ashley

Wow, thats good to know before I order one for our chins. Thats like the second product I've seen directly marketed at chins, and shows a chin on the product artwork, only to find out its too small for most chins or the picture shown is just not to scale. :banghead:

Maybe I'll make my own and glaze and fire a ceramic pot of the right size...;)

The ceramic ones are cute in my opinion but I only use them as a cool hidey house. I have used all sorts but to keep the dust in, something like the bath house is ideal but the plastic is dangerous even if only in there for a short period of time. They are also pricey: $16.99 usually. I like these cookie jars from walmart. They are inexpensive also.
l_102aeddeea2e40e6a7ecdbda7d91fe6b.jpg

The cookie jars look good but I refuse to shop at Walmart. I'll see if I can get something similar at some restaurant supply stores in the city :dance3:

Latest posts

Back