Liver problems

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kendra

Hi, I haven't posted for a long time but need some help/hope. I took ferdinand to the vet on saturday because he had lost weight, was not eating well, and had small poops in addition to some other things.

They ran blood tests which came back last night and he had fatty liver, probably secondary to something else according to the vet. His blood clotted really quickly so the CBC may be off, but he also had low lymphocytes and was anemic according to that. I'm waiting for the vet to call back with what to do next.

I know that it really can depend on what else may be going on, but can liver problems be resolved/fixed.

He's my little buddy, everyone at the vets office fell in love with him instantly, if I'd let him, he would be in my lap or in the crook of my arm all day. I'm really worried about him and just keep thinking of worst case scenarios so want to know if there are any best case ones.

Thank you

Attachments

• 10247322_10203894539672661_4300631468798971229_n.jpg
    10247322_10203894539672661_4300631468798971229_n.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 24
Hepatic lipidosis is caused by the weight loss in this case IMO if the weight loss was rapid, most often in chins its a secondary issue and the primary issue is dental. Once the primary issue is resolved, slow weight gain back using a low protein/fat diet will most often correct the liver issue.

Unfortunately fatty liver disease has no cure. If you catch it early enough you can manage it with good food and hay. How old is your little one? Depending on what you feed him it could be either his diet or what health problems he inherited from his parents or grandparents. The best you can do is provide him with a good well rounded food, no treats, and fresh high quality hay.

I disagree that hepatic lipidosis has no cure, the liver is a resilient organ, capable of regenerating itself, if it is not too badly damaged, the prognosis is good for a full recovery, we had several rescues on deaths door that made a full recovery-it took time but the liver recovered to normal.

Thank you so much! He is about 5 and a half now, I feed him oxbow pellets and timothy hay. It had been a few months since I'd given him treats and when I do it's very small amounts of oats. Right now I'm supplementing with critical care, the weight loss did seem pretty slow.

It's helpful to hear that you've had several that made a full recovery. It seems like it was gradual at first then sped up. I'm hoping it's not a dental issue, but glad there are a number of ways it could go. I took him to adobe so at least I know they know what they are doing.

And that's a very current pic, not like it would give a really good idea of the weight loss, but at least he's not at a crazy emaciated place

Last edited:
Adobe is who treated the sick ones, Dr Johnson. You could not have picked a better vet hospital! I usually see Dr. Nakamura, I just like his personality.

I've had chins with liver damage come in, normally it is poor diet and weight loss that causes it or even parasite issues. Once the liver is compromised it is hard for chins to digest and process their food. Sometimes vets can help take the load off of the liver by prescribing an anti parasitic drug or antibiotics....it sounds strange but it can work.

It seems to take about six months for chins with liver issues like this to recover. I'm glad that you have a good vet to go to help this chin.

Interesting about the parasite thing, makes a lot of since really.

I found Adobe through here, and they have just been wonderful. I'm seeing/going back and forth with Dr. Cote but they all seem great and nice. I moved out to antioch but it's worth the drive.

Adobe has 7 or 8 vets who see chins, they do confer with each other if its a tough case. 24/7/365, its nice to know you can see a vet any time or day!

So an update, the vet said there are essentially two things we can do, try antibiotics and a liver supplement or go to UC Davis and have an ultrasound done on his liver. I decided to try the antibiotic route then if it doesn't work go to Davis. Fortunately it's not too bad of a drive and Ferdinand doesn't really seem to mind being in the car if that ends up happening. They are also going to show me how to give subcutaneous fluids tomorrow.

To try to keep weight on, chin needs at least 60ml of CC a day, some chins need 100ml+ a day, a couple I had could maintain at 45ml a day. 10ml per feeding works for most chins even though I had one that would want 20ml before he was full. If this was not a liver problem I would say get some lifeline, but its higher in protein so in this case CC will be your best bet, it will just take more of it.

Cool, thank you, I think I was off on the conversion chart. I do actually have lifeline but sounds like not the best thing to give

I was sent home with the wrong needle size for the fluids so I went to a vet office which was closer (overall bad idea), they wouldn't even just give the fluids and charged a crazy amount for one needle, but I at least got x rays done sooner than I would have. I'd love some input on the image (they weren't sure if it was normal or not) I'm going to try and get one of the adobe vets to check it out maybe when I pick up the rest of the needles tomorrow. She also prescribed a motility drug, I'm hesitant to give it though since she didn't sound sure that it wasn't hard on the liver, so opinions or thoughts on that one too would be awesome. Thank you!

Attachments

• ferdinand head.jpg
    ferdinand head.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 30
Yikes... Lots of root elongation going on there top and bottom :( it looks like the bottom roots have already gone through the jaw bone and top have entered the sinus cavity. This is without a doubt the cause of his weight loss/lost interest in eating, more than likely leading to the secondary liver issues. When the teeth reach that point eating is very painful and hard for them.

Very severe case of malo/root elongation going on and not much can be done I'm sorry to say :( Quality of life should be considered at this point and know that unfortunately, nothing can be done to correct those roots.

I was very afraid of that, my poor little buddy. I feel awful for it getting to this point, I don't know how I could have missed signs of it. Holding back tears right now, he's so special to me, his "escape attempts" are him hurling himself into my lap.

How long must this have been going on? I've been taking him to a good vet, they've always said he isn't showing signs, even with this liver issue. He's not lethargic, never drooled, was eating fine until recently. The only thing he had were watery eyes and Dr. Johnson said it was allergies (they would clear up and then get watery again). I hate to think about having letting him suffer

You didn't do anything wrong at all. Problems with chins can pop up so amazingly fast it will make the head of the most experienced chin breeder/owner/rancher/expert spin.

You didn't let him suffer. Animals truly experience things differently than people would in the same situation. A chinchilla processes sensations, pain or other distress in a way that is so far removed than how a human would process any of the same. It's nearly impossible to realize that any chins are having an issue until the point where they drool, they limp, or they cannot do something they normally do.

The important thing is that chin owners (like you) do the right thing and be observant (and care) about what is going on with their chins. You did your best and that's what is important. You have done nothing to let a chin suffer. I wish more chinchilla owners were like you and could actually see the subtle cues given by the chins that something is wrong.

Like Susan said it is absolutely not your fault. Chins are masters at disguising their pain and illnesses until they get really bad. You have done a great job with him already getting him the best medical care you could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back