litter mates & bonding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikkimariec

pit bull mama
if two male chins are litter mates and are bonded is there any chance they could fight? and what if they do fight and I'm at work or asleep?

They can still fight. If they are in the same room while you are sleeping you probably can hear them chasing each other. At work that is a different story until you get home. I would have an extra cage just in case you never know. I myself have not had problems (knock on wood). I have a female that is caged by herself since I know she will not get along with anyone since her mom died maybe 3 years ago. I just put a mom (6 yrs) and one of her daughters (2 yrs old) back with another daughter (2 yrs old) after being separated for 5 mths. Both daughters had babies different litters in Oct and Dec so the cage had too many chins in there that is why I separated the family. The 2 babies born in Dec was weaned and put with dad.

Usually there will be warnings before fighting breaks out, you'll notice just general discontent. Although it can happen that they just freak out and fight, usually with careful monitoring you'll see the warning signs.

I keep colonies of up to 6 animals with no problems. I think the biggest thing is that their personalities get along and that they each have a place to hide or get away from the other if they chose to, sometimes they just need a break from the other(s).

When I had a lot more animals I used to do growing colonies as well. I think they enjoy the company and companionship that only another chin can give.

Some pics from some of my colonies from years ago:

Growinggirls.jpg

growingboys2.jpg

congoline.jpg

I keep colonies of up to 6 animals with no problems. I think the biggest thing is that their personalities get along and that they each have a place to hide or get away from the other if they chose to, sometimes they just need a break from the other(s).

When I had a lot more animals I used to do growing colonies as well. I think they enjoy the company and companionship that only another chin can give.

Some pics from some of my colonies from years ago:

Growinggirls.jpg

growingboys2.jpg

congoline.jpg

I can't help but admire how BEAUTIFUL their fur is!!!!

Latest posts

Back