Lilac wood?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure they like the lilac. I'll have to check again when I switch laundry, but I gave them some this morning and when I was down there a little while ago, no one had touched it.

Could be the time of day though. They usually don't get their sticks til evening.

That is hilarious, I was just coming on to update.

YES they finally decided it was 'OK'....it's clearly not the favorite. But they are taking it now. (though, it might be growing on them, I just cleaned the cages and gave new sticks and I had two of them go for it immediately....)

All chins are acting normal in behavior and poops. So I'm guessing it's safe....:)

So bumping this thread. Lilac, how many have now tried it? How are your chins? I'm always leery, but have 4 gorgeous never sprayed lilac bushes in my yard! I love offering variety!

How can any of you want to prune your lilacs?! lol. I wuvs my lilac tree and wouldn't dream of touching it...no, not even for my chin! :)

All my boys are fine. It's not their favorite (apple and cotton take that title) But they take it when offered (just not overly enthusiastic) and no one has had any health issues.

How can I want to trim them? Allergies.... Less flowering for me to deal with more wood for the boys. LOL :)

lol now when i get a place of my own . Probably in 3-4 years. ill have an excuse to plant lilacs. i love those things the smell the way they look the flowers and sticks for my chillas who think they are beavers.

Yay! We have a couple lilacs that will need a trimming soon! I'm excited to try it out :)

Is hibiscus wood safe? I know the flower is, but I'm not sure about the wood itself. We have a ton here that will be blossoming soon and almost all of them are in a need of a trim because they grow like crazy!

Would anyone be willing to send a normal envelope of lilac wood for my guys to try? I don't have any bushes but I'm sure I could get some shipped from my grandfather.

If you wouldn't mind, please PM me. Thanks!

I can check the status of how much lilac I have left in a couple days. If I have some left I can do that for you. In the scheme of things, I didn't do THAT much, not knowing what the outcome would be. so chances of having any on hand/prepped aren't super high.

(Chins are downstairs, I haven't been able to go down in 6 weeks due to bed rest but will be released early next week) Unfortunately my husband/kids don't know how to differentiate the wood types. LOL

Last edited:
Alright, thanks Dew. I hope you feel better!!

My fiance is the same way. He calls me "what's the light brown wood with the yellow dot in the middle?" "you mean mulberry? it's labeled" lol

Back