Lilac wood?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewdrop

Is it safe?

I'm hoping to convince hubby to cut some of the neighbors cotton wood this weekend, and was curious since it's right there as well.....and haven't seen it listed anywhere on the forum...

TY!

Edit so no one jumps me. haha The cotton grows over onto our property, and he's planning on taking the tree's out, so us trimming isn't an issue. the lilac is ours.

Last edited:
Looks like it's safe for parrots and birds. I know often people will refer to bird safe woods for chins. *shrugs* Thoughts?

LOL! My sister just pruned her lilac and I wondered the same thing as it's VERY nice straight, easy to handle wood...but...well...never seen it on the safe list so left it be. I'd be interested to hear opinions as I have a thriving one on my property that, if not at the very least pruned, needs taken down a notch.

Hopefully someone will know! I'm HOPING it's OK....but I haven't found much on the web about it. But did cut a stalk to see the sap status (none).....All I've found thus far is it's on the OK lists for parrots, and one person on a forum said their vet OK'd lilac. But yeah, I'd like more to go on than that. LOL

We'll see. Pruned a little bit of dogwood this afternoon, Will work on the cotton tomorrow. :)

I have the same problem inquiring about palm wood. We use palm for all the fancy shapes for chin toys but nadda about the wood. Same for banana leaves and such.

Ok, I know nothing of degu's LOL....are their wood lists similar. But good to see, on their list as safe and bird lists. It's looking up :)

I think I'll probably try it. I haven't seen it on any unsafe list. I'll just give very sparingly til I feel otherwise.

Now I'm just debating if I want to start prepping wood today or wait until I've gotten more to prep..

LOL! I usually don't notice because it grows in such a cluster it has the appearance of chaos...BUT...this time of year...laying pruned on the ground...yeah, straight as can be!

True!

Ok I caved. I went ahead and boiled/scrubbed and am now baking some lilac in addition to the other woods. So we'll see...

I can, camera needs to charge first though. Not sure how much it would really help, however. Since their not blooming or anything right now.

Yeah, I only know hers (and mine for that matter) are lilac because we've owned our homes for several years and have seen them in bloom. It looks like a cluster of small trees really...but really straight and not many "branches" just a BUNCH of "stalks"

You'll have to post how your chins like it. I'll be pruning my lilacs this weekend, and if your chins like it I'll have to save my clippings and give it a try. :)

Will do.

Haven't given them any yet. But probably will later tonight/tomorrow.

Back