Lethargic chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We tried the Baytril and Flagyl together, and it did not work. So they took her off antibiotics for a week and did a Culture and Sensitivity test, since none of the antibiotics we've tried have helped very much.

Based on the results of the test they decided to put her on doxycycline. She's been taking it for about a week and she's been eating pellets again! She eats a couple tablespoons of pellets every day, but her poo is still smaller than it should be. It's about half the size of a healthy one. She is regaining the weight she lost (about 30 grams).

We still have her on cisapride and reglan, and tramadol for pain. My concern now is that she is eating quite a lot, and we are still hand feeding her, but her poop is not returning to normal. The vet said to keep hand feeding her until it does, but she is getting really bloated after syringe feeds now, and I don't want to cause her more discomfort.

This morning I checked on Yuna before leaving for work, and there were two clumps of very tiny poos that looked like they had bubbles in them. I called the vet and they said it is a reaction to the antibiotic. So they want me to keep her off antibiotics for 5 days and see what happens.

I know her mouth is still hurting, because if I even get my hand close to her face she whimpers. This infection is giving her so much trouble already, I'm afraid what will happen if we take her off antibiotics again.

I personally don't like the idea of stopping the antibiotics since dental infections can quickly get out of control and become fatal.

That is what I was thinking, but we are running out of safe antibiotic options. The vet is insistent upon keeping her off the antibiotics. I'm not sure what to do now.

Unfortunately Yuna passed away Friday night.

She had improved greatly. She was eating and drinking normally. We had her on yet another antibiotic, I can't recall the name. I thought it was working.

Then Friday I got home from work and she was completely inactive again. She had not eaten or drank any water since I had left earlier in the day. I picked her up and her head just lolled to the side and she couldn't hold herself up on her paws.

I cuddled her and she started gasping for air, and passed within 5-10 minutes.

Thank you all for you advice. I really thought she was going to pull through.

Thank you. I will be putting up a post for her in the memorial section when I get all my pictures around.

Back