Lethargic chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmw142

Today my chinchilla hasn't been as bouncy and active as normal. She will still play when I get her out of her cage, and I gave her a dust bath earlier, but while in her cage she is just sitting in the corner not doing anything. I tried giving her chew sticks and I even rearranged her furniture because that usually gets her excited. She is still pooping normal, but I haven't seen her eat much (a little bit of hay, and two pellets that I hand-fed her). I also haven't seen her drink any water today, and I have been near her cage for most of the day. I called the only emergency vet I could find in the area, and they don't seem very worried since she is still pooping normally and her stomach is soft. I also checked her teeth and they look normal, no signs of overgrowth or drooling. I don't know what to do, since the vet doesn't seem concerned, I don't think they will take it seriously if I bring her in. I don't feel right doing nothing though. Any suggestions?

How is she today? You can use permanent marker to mark a line on her water bottle to see how much she is drinking. Is her poop dark and oval or small, or light brown and round. The latter could be signs of dehydration. Is she very active outside of her cage when she has playtime? Do you give her hay blocks or loose hay? Does she get any treats/what kind? Any other symptons? Does she get tap water or some kind of filtered water? Do you use a water softener?

There was no change this morning, so I took her in. She was dehydrated so they gave her fluids and sent me home with critical care. They said she looks totally healthy, so they don't know why she was not eating or drinking. She gets loose hay and hay blocks in addition to her pellets. The only treats she gets are these cookies I made which are mostly Timothy hay with some oats put in, although I ordered some rosehips which should be coning soon. I only give her half a thin quarter sized cookie per week. I use filtered water I buy at the grocery store, because I have well water and I'm not entirely sure what's in it. She is eating the critical care very well though. They said to bring her back if she doesn't seem intertested in a regular diet in a couple days.

The water bottle does work. That is the first thing I checked, because a few years ago I had a water bottle stop working with my rats. She started eating some pellets today, but not a lot, and she is still not drinking so I am still going to give her the critical care. I read a post somewhere else on here where a chin wasn't drinking and someone suggested rubbing a raisin on the water bottle to make it appetizing. I was wondering if I should try that. I considered getting some probiotics for her,since I know a lot of people recommend that for sick or stressed chins, but her poop looks really good, so I don't know if it is necessary.

Quick update: she's still not drinking. Called the vet and they said to mix a little bit of unsweetened apple juice with her water to encourage her to drink. Is this safe? She is still eating the critical care just fine, and she ate a few pellets this morning. She's also been munching on some hay, but not large quantities yet. This evening I noticed her stomach was distended and I think its gas. I've been massaging her belly. I know some people give simethicone for gas, but I called the vet and they said if she is still eating not to worry. I am giving her Metacam for pain. She has been a little more active than she was at first. I know that stasis takes time and effort to cure, so I'm trying to be patient,but this is NY first time working with this vet so I want to get some more opinions on wether this is the right course of action.

Vet needs to be told that you want a x-ray and you suspect gas based on symptoms, not sure why the vet did not x-ray, its usually done when there are eating issues that don't present themselves as dental issues at first. I would start the simethicone now, full dropper every 3-4 hours until the chin goes back to the vet, chin will need motility drugs if gas is confirmed-bloat does not start out as a hard belly, its usually doughy and then hard as the gas travels.

I provided mine with glucose (equal mixture of sugar and water) when this happened to mine.

Ok thank you! I will get the simethicone then and get her started on it, and I will call the vet back.

Oh yeah, my vet said it was a aggressive medical solution because she was not responding to antibiotics, CC or water.

I have been giving her simethicone, and it seems to be helping. She doesn't seem quite as miserable as before, and her stomach isn't as distended as it was. I called the vet and they can't get her back in until Friday morning. I was hoping for tomorrow! Friday will be her fifth full day with symptoms. Is that waiting too long? I don't want to wait and have things get worse, but it's looking like I don't have another option.

She is now on Cisapride and Baytril, because they think she has an infection. To me "thinking" it might be an infection is not cause enough to put her on an antibiotic, but they gave her the first dose when she was back in the exam room and did not ask me first. So now I am stuck having to give her the full rotation of meds, even though I personally do not see signs of infection. Maybe they're right, but I would have liked a test first. Anyway, on to my actual question! Since they have her on the antibiotic, I asked about using probiotics to keep her good bacteria count up and they said not to worry about it. I don't like this answer. Everything I have found on here says you should use lactobacillus acidophillus if they are on antibiotics. I cannot find this strain anywhere. Should I give it, and if so, where do I find it?

You can find it at Whole foods or health food stores, I buy the stuff in the refrigerated department. When you buy it and crack it open, taste it, if it tastes like nothing you can just sprinkle it on something for the chin to eat, if it tastes like something, put it in the CC. Give it during the feeding that is 4 hours away from the dose of the baytril. Baytril is not my personal 1st choice as a "hey lets try something" antibiotic, I would have tried something sulfa based.

The Baytril and Cisapride are gone (they only gave me enough for five days) and still no improvement. I'm really starting to worry that she may not get better. I know that there is a really low survival rate for stasis, and the next step with the vet would be to have her stay overnight. She's only eight months old, and I'm trying not to lose hope. Should I let them keep her for awhile and see if she improves there? I don't want to cause her added stress, but nothing we're doing now is helping.

Did the vet check for parasites, it would have been charged as something like a fecal float? Was a x-ray done? If no x-ray was done, if this was my chin I would bypass it at this point and move on to a ultrasound and I would want a fecal float. Also I would want reglan and propulsid together for motility.

The vet I have been taking her to is the same vet I go to for my hedgehog's wellness visits (luckily in the two years she's lived with me we have had no problems), but they don't seem to be very concerned with her condition. I called again today and they told me they think she is throwing a temper tantrum and just wants attention. I am checking into another vet I have never used before, but I have heard good things. Maybe they will be more help.

*shakes head* some vets just need to go away, you know your chin and you know something is wrong and if the vet just thought it was a temper tantrum why the motility drugs, pain meds and antibiotic??? I think you are doing the right thing and getting a second opinion.

The vet I was going to try was on vacation last week, so I can't even call to make an appointment until Monday. I have enough CC for about two more days, but I wanted to get some more from the other vet to make sure I have enough, since she is not eating anything else right now. She will nibble at her hay, but she isn't eating much of it, and she ate two pellets in the last two days. I called them and they refused to sell it to me. They said she needs to be weaned off of it. They haven't even seen her in over a week! How would they know she's ready to be weaned off? I did try cutting back to two feedings a day, one in the morning and one midday to see if she would eat overnight, but she didn't eat or drink at all that night, so I know she still needs the Critical Care. Let's hope I have enough to get through until Monday, and I can get her to the new vet quickly! Thank you for all of the advice! I am copying and printing it to take with me so I remember everything I want to ask. Oh, I also started her on the probiotic and we've been getting a lot more poop, so I definitely think it is helping.

If you run out of the CC you can try crushing up her pellets and mixing it with water. You might even be able to stretch the CC by mixing them. I hope the new vet can get you in right away and help your little girl!

Latest posts

Back