Lethal Gene

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamspirit

Luv All Animals
I'm getting 2 new Chins this weekend and both are Mosaic's .. And the girl said that she thinks the female is pregnant. Is breeding two Mosaic's bad? She said that they have had a litter of 2 babies before but the babies died because mom gave birth outside her nest box and they got cold and died plus also due to her being a first time mom..

So I'm wondering if breeding two mosaic's is bad?

Thanks

Breeding two chinchillas you don't know the quality of and with lacking experience and research is bad. Chins aren't easy breeders like most rodents.

White to white wont physically harm the adults, just 25% fewer offspring. White to white is almost never done because there are a lot of fur weaknesses to whites so pairing them makes for weaker offspring. If you want to keep the two together, best bet is finding a vet that had done many sucessful neuterings on chinchillas.

I don't want to breed them.. Just want them as pets.. but the girl I'm getting them from said that the female might be pregnant.
I have ordered a FN cage and can divide the cages so I can separate them.

I agree with Zoaea. But to answer your question it is not "bad", it just reduces the percent of kits born. Which now you probably have more questions on why. There are other threads on this topic.

It won't hurt the mother to be bred to another white but there will be less kits born and likely of poor quality. I would seporate them.

The lethal factor means 25% less kits would be born - it does not cause deformities or cause kits already born to die. Chins don't need nest boxes. They have kits where ever they have them. Sounds a little sketchy about what happened to the other babies but that's another issue. Also the ferret nation cage is not baby safe - cage must have bar spacing no bigger 1/2" x 1/2" or 1" x 1/2" or they will escape - so you will either need to modify it or get a baby proof cage to keep her in until 111 days pass. There is a sticky/FAQ at the top of this section that can answer the basics for you.

I don't want to breed them.. Just want them as pets.. but the girl I'm getting them from said that the female might be pregnant.
I have ordered a FN cage and can divide the cages so I can separate them.

FN cages are nice, but not baby safe, there is a FAQ on all the basic baby questions here and also some threads on how to baby proof a cage. Hope she ends up not being pregnant for ya, gl. =)

Yeah, I hope she's not either.. Yes, I do know that babies can escape from the FN cage. I will modify it.. Thanks for all your replies.. I appreciate it..

Glad you got these guys, from what you said the person you got them from is not knowledgeable, chins don't need a "nest box" and having them outside of one and being a first time mom is not grounds for kit death. Plus that she was breeding white to white... well.

Good luck, and keep us updated

She said she thinks the female is about 7 weeks preggers.. I picked them up yesterday from a young girl probably 19-20 years of age..maybe younger I don't know.
The cage was too small in my opinion for them and not in the greatest shape.. The cage is a Super pet-My first large exotic which has plastic bottom and plastic shelves which was supposed to come with 3 shelves, but she only had 2 and both are very chewed and will barely hang on the cage so I went to home depot and bought some kiln dried pine wood and made 3 shelves for it.
This cage will be going bye-bye as soon as I get my FN cage.
The only stuff she had that came with them is 2 dust houses, a ceramic food dish, a bag of treats and a cheap hay rack, cheap water bottle and a cheap to small of a wheel..
I bought them 15lbs of dust, 5lb box of premium Timothy hay, 20lb bag of chin food, Pumice stones, wood shelves that I made, glass water bottles and some fiddlesticks and I'm just starting LOL.. LOVE shopping for all my babies :)
Just waiting for my taxes to come in and will be going on more of a shopping spree.. :)
Attached are a couple pics.. I had covered their cage with a bed sheet for more privacy since I'm sure they are stressed from the move.. Also attached is a pic of the particular cage that came with them.. Which in my opinion is not suitable for chins.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqR,!pYFCJMZEPfPBQmuduu4,!~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqR,!pYFCJMZEPfPBQmuduu4,!~~60_57.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 28
  • pics 022.jpg
    pics 022.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 33
  • pics 024.jpg
    pics 024.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 34
The bar spacing on the modified cage you've got now looks to be small (1/2"). If this is the case, it might be easier to keep the female in that cage for the 111 (or so) days. If you use that cage and she does have babies, you can just remove the shelving until the babies are older. It might save you from modifying the FN...just a thought...if the spacing is as small as it looks in the picture. :)

Seporate them now! You don't know their genetic health history and you shouldn't leave them together so they can breed at your house. There is no reason to leave them together.

I agree, they should have been separated right away. chins can carry two pregnancies, which mean they can get pregnant while they're pregnant, and they can get bred back before they even litter.

She looks kind of small to me, so I'd make sure you have a good exotic vet just in case.

One other question, Will they go through any separation anxiety when I separate them? I have no idea how long they have been living together but I know they have been for at least a year that I know of.. Or won't they really care?

She has no idea if they are 7 weeks pregnant - there's no way to tell. She could not be pregnant now and you leaving them together she could become pregnant. Separating now is best.

They will be just fine separate. He will likely call and pace the cage but it's because he wants to mate not because of missing her.

I have one of those cages here. It came in with a rescue. The spacing on it will allow a kit to escape without any problems. If is not kit safe.

Back