Leaky Water Bottles!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinsmom

I am sick to death of leaky water bottles! I've tried a couple different types, and it's still the same, fill the bottle, bottle drips, bottle leaks. Does anybody know of a bottle that doesn't drip and where you'd find it? I'd like to get one - I'm sure my little boy would love not getting dripped on.:hair: Thanks!!

Gawd, I have the same issue. Rick, my husband, even tried putting new washers in the two we have, no luck. Leaks even worse when Trixie spends the night running her wheel. Rick ended up attaching a small shot glass underneath the bottle, so water leaks in to it. Trixie can still get to her water OK.

I use the glass Lixit bottles. They can be found in the bird section of Petsmart. The only time I've had an issue with them is when the washers wear out. Sure they drip once in awhile but, every bottle will do that. Especially with a chin bouncing around and shaking the cage. lol

I use the Edstrom water buddies and have not had a leak or an issue with them in 4 years. They are plastic though and my cage of heavy chewers chewed a tiny hole in the top of one of them before I could get the metal guard on but with the guard it's awesome. My other girls have never chewed theirs.

I use Shoots or Ryerson type water bottles. They are glass, so can be sterilized. The stoppers are a heavy rubber, very thick, with a glass tube for drinking. If you put a metal washer between the chin and the stopper, they will last a long time. The only time I have leakage is if I put the stopper in wrong.

I want something that can be sterilized. Lixit, Edstrom, etc. cannot be sterilized to my satisfaction. Lixit because of the metal tubes (you can't see in them to see if they are clean) and Edstrom because they are plastic and because of the nozzles.

I do agree though, I don't think there is a perfect waterl bottle that will never leak. I think all of them do at some point or another.

I've had some pretty good luck with the chew-proof water bottles from Petco, as I've never had a leak.
They're glass, have stainless covers for the caps, and two balls in the nozzles to prevent 'backflow', but it also helps on shaking cages.
Just remember to 'start' them by inverting them after filling, and bouncing them off your hand, until the bubbles start. I also hit the end with my finger to make sure there's flow!
As far as cleaning, a bottle brush fits the nozzles from both ends, and they fit in the dishwasher.

I use the glass superpet bottles. A lot of people don't like them I think but I've never had a problem with them. All you have to do is only fill it up with water to the indent in the glass where the spring holds it to the cage. Mine fits in the dishwasher and the bottle brush i have comes with an attachment that can fit down the nozzle to clean it as well. This one doesn't leak for me and it's even hung right next to the chin spin in the cage.

I am also a fan of Edstrom Water Buddy but they are expensive and if you have a lot of chins it's just not practical. No matter what bottle I used other than the Edstrom, they chins would rattle their cage all night and I'd wake up to a wet mess.

i have tried about 10 different readily available water bottles, mostly from pet stores and so far the only ones that i have tried that dont leak much are the glass super pet ones.

What I have is the glass Super Pet bottle. I've never seen one with a glass tube, where do you find those? I also like the fact that the glass bottles can be sterilized. I'm also going to check out the Edstrom. Thanks!!

The Super Pet bottle seem to have a bad batch every so often. I have one for my babies, but before I got that one, I'd purchased another one that would leak empty due to a hole in the bottle at the top that you couldn't see. I use a bunch of different types of bottles. My boys have a LM Farms one, my girls have a glass Lixit, my babies have a Superpetz and my rats have an Oasis. I don't have leaking problems with any of them other than the initial first few drips when the bottle is "started" before the vacuum happens or when they all get happy and shake the cage.

Honestly, I have used the Petco brand bottles for one of my chins and many many mice (when I was breeding them), and I have never had a problem with leakage. On the other hand, I have purchased at least 3 of the glass super pet bottles and all of them either wouldn't work AT ALL or worked for a day or two and then stopped letting water out completely! I tried all the methods of fixing them via tips online and I still could not get them to work, so I would stay away from those...

Glass and I dont mix, I am a klutz sooo i buy the water bottles at Petco and make sure they are filled to the top invert and get a good vaccum going. That being said I have a t time forgot to do this so I put something like papertowels or a cloth under their liners. i use them for all my ferrets, rats, and chinny, and had had only a few problems with leaks due to bouncy brats.

Back