kits going to the bathroom

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

iluvmychins

When they are born, do they stary going to the bathroom, or does it take awhile. Is it runny while they are feeding, or are they hard like the mothers? Is it normal for the mother to constantly clean the baby down there? Thanks!

Yes, the mother is doing her job by cleaning them...the poos will not look like adult "tic tacs" - they shouldn't be quite liquid but not quite like adults either...not really sure how to describe them - soft, I guess lol.

how often

do they poo? I had her out of the cage for about 2 mins and there was nothing?

Yes they do - someone else with more physiological understanding may have to come along with a precise answer about the digestive systems of kits...but since kits are consuming a diet of mostly milk (depending on age of course) their poos are going to have a different consistency/frequency than adults who are consuming hay and pellets.

i am sorry, i wrote that wrong. the first half was in the tittle, sorry. my last question was how often do they poo?

When they are newborns, they are only able to go to the bathroom when the mother stimulates them to do so. She will lick the area, stimulating the kit to urinate and defecate, and she will then clean the area.

Mothers do this pretty frequently and they will go to the bathroom frequently, in small amounts.

From what I've seen, the babies are able to defecate a lot faster than urinate. You will find tiny, not well formed poos pretty quickly.

Back