Keeping mice in the same room as a chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mimichi

Is it safe? I know you're not suppose to keep chins and rabbits in the same room, but does this apply to mice as well?

I was thinking about getting two mice tomorrow, but I wasn't sure if it would be safe to keep them in the same room as Mimi. I use to have my hamster in the same room, with no problems, but I wanted to find out if mice would be okay or not. If not, I probably will decide against getting them since I have no other room for them besides my bedroom.

I would think it's fine. Just wash your hands between handling each species and don't let them interact or touch each other's stuff. The only animals I know for certain are a risk with chins are rabbits (which many including us still manage to keep safely) and guinea pigs due to a similar illness they share that is often a death sentence for chins even when showing no symptoms in guinea pigs or rabbits.

I kept my rats in the same room for years with no problem. They should be fine. I have not heard of a disease that guinea pigs can give chins, but rabbits should not be housed in the same area as chins.

Guinea pigs can carry the same illness as rabbits. Pasteurella. They actually carry an even worse strain with no symptoms. They can kill rabbits housed near them. Considering chins are even closer related to guinea pigs I'd definitely be very cautious about owning both.

I don't know about that. I've had several customers that have kept their guinea pigs in the same room as their chins and I have never heard of there being any issues with pasturella with either the chins or guinea pigs.

There have been serious issues with rabbits and pasturella. I've heard of several cases of it being transmitted to chins, the chins usually die from pasturella once they are infected.

I have two guinea pigs. My vet has never once mentioned anything about them having pasturella or that there are any risks with having both chinchillas and piggies.

It's true that guinea pigs can get pasteurella, but they are much more prone to the bacteria and usually will show symptoms and signs of illness. They are unlike rabbits who can be silent carriers of pasteurella.

It's well known with show rabbits and show cavies that you can't house them next to each other because cavies will carry any strain of pastuerella without symptoms. The difference is that without symptoms part. If they aren't coughing, sneezing, etc... they aren't spreading it around the environment and it dies within 24hours out of the body. It takes direct contact between the animals to pass it on. Whereas rabbits, especially pet quality that haven't been bred for disease resistance, will often develop respiratory symptoms or have their immune system overwhelmed in other ways. You can have it show up as eye infections, diarrhea, inability to carry a pregnancy, head tilts, and other things that don't have the classic respiratory symptoms. That allows it to spread through an entire house or rabbitry through the air, sprayed urine, and shared items. Sometimes without realizing the rabbit is sick.

Akane, it sounds like you have it backwards. Rabbits can carry pasteurella silently without showing symptoms for long periods of time. It is even sometimes considered normal flora in rabbits. They usually only show symptoms when some other issue causes their immune system to weaken. It is a common cause of respiratory issues in rabbits because of this. Guinea pigs will usually become very sick if they are exposed to pasteurella and it is not as common for them to be silent carriers of the bacteria for long periods of time like rabbits, though I suppose it could happen.

Try googling it. You will find all kinds of information. Here is one good article.
http://www.celebratingrabbits.com/stories/pasteurella.html

Latest posts

Back