Kaytee Timothy hay?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReneeM

I was wondering if this is a decent brand or not. I got my boys a bag about two weeks ago, and am beginning to think they don't like it. Before that I bought them Oxbow Timothy hay. The Kaytee bag was the same price for double the amount of hay oxbow bags contain. I thought it would last longer. I have seen them chewing on it, but they throw it all over the cage floor! They didn't do that as often with the oxbow. Should I switch them back?

I went through a few brands. My chin hated Kaytee, was ok with the first batch of Oxbow but I think we got a old second one and loves American Pet Diner.

I think I'm going to pick up a bag of oxbow tomorrow and give what's left of the Kaytee to the local humane society :)

If you shop around, you might be able to find somewhere in town that sells the larger bags of Oxbow hay. One of the local feed stores here sells it in larger bags and it lasts quite a while with just one chinchilla. Also, Kaytee probably is going to be cheaper since it is lower quality. That's like comparing an offbrand product to a name brand product. With some things it can be done but often you get what you pay for.

once i bought a bag of kaytee timothy when the store was out of oxbow hay. m boys wouldn't touch the stuff, and neither would the jack rabbits that live in my neighbourhood. kaytee = krappy! lol.

I can't seem to find Oxbow in my town, I even asked at the feed store in town today and they only carry Kaytee products, including the food, it's all I've given my little guy, but I hate the consistency of the Kaytee hay. It's hard and pokie!

Kaytee doesn't make very good products at all in my opinion. Keep using Oxbow or try the other brands that others have suggested. I use Kleenmama myself.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I just got a new chin and I'm not sure if she likes the Kaytee Timothy Hay. My other two chins love it, but she eats some of it but then the rest goes everywhere in her cage. Where do they sell Oxbow Timothy Hay?

Even PetsMart here sells Oxbow hay. They also sell lots of Kaytee products but if you hunt, you find the Oxbow. Also some petstores/feedstores might be able to order Oxbow for you if you ask. It's possible it'll cost a little more but in my opinion it's much higher quality than Kaytee. Not only does Kaytee seem like a bad cut of hay, often there's tons of hay dust in the bottom implying that it's been sitting around a while.

If you are shopping at Petsmart they also now carry a large bag of "All Living Things" timothy hay in a 96oz. (6 lb. size) for $13.49. I ended up running out of hay when I was waiting on a shipment to come in and bought this because it looked the greenest and was super fluffy. When I opened the bag is smelled awesome and is all 2nd and 3rd cut so it's soft and leafy, and the chins here LOVE it. I think they are going to be sad when I run out of the bag and switch them back to the baled hay. If I didn't go through a bag so quickly I would stick with this hay, even over Oxbow. I have yet to get a bag of Oxbow in any size that was enjoyed by the chins as much as this hay.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I just got a new chin and I'm not sure if she likes the Kaytee Timothy Hay. My other two chins love it, but she eats some of it but then the rest goes everywhere in her cage. Where do they sell Oxbow Timothy Hay?

Some people here sell it. I have a cheapy Amazon Prime account so I buy it there.

Back