Just got my chinchilla back and noticed this!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waysidecorpse

Anti Mod
ok so i was putting boco back in his cage and went about my day didn't notice anything wrong with him, i went to give him a treat and noticed the hair above his right eye was different and this is what i saw when i got close, the best way i can describe it is like a red line from what suppose to be under his eye lid his hanging down someone on his eye and he is VERY aggressive when it comes to me touching him now i had to actually hold him down while i took this picture

1656018_10153861211630223_1385267864_n_zps2086d36a.jpg

Sounds and looks very painful. Hard to tell what is going on from the lighting in the picture but he may have sustained some sort of injury either by getting poked or scratching his eye, etc. Needs vet attention.

Here lies two big problems i currently have no spare cash for a vet trip, plus i have no way to get to the vet at this very moment ((its 5:35AM where i am)) but at this very moment he was jumping about chewing on his toys and wasn't going to touch or scratch his eye, but he at this very second he is snoozing away dreaming i hope good chinchilla dreams.

Is there anything i could do or offer that would ease his pain or possibly heal it? i think its a impact injury because like i said i didn't notice it on him when i got him back but about 4 hours ago he took two big tumbles but i didn't notice anything wrong with him at the time so i figured he was being a clutz.

If it was something simple like a minor eye infection maybe, but something like that needs vet attention. It shouldn't and can't be home treated. It looks very serious and if left untreated it could lead to bigger problems such as an even more serious infection or even blindness. He very likely could have a scratch on the cornea which only a vet can diagnose and it requires special eye ointments to heal. Otherwise it could develop into a much larger ulcer and like I said, cause blindness and more long term issues.

Remember that chinchillas are prey animals and hide their pain as instinct, just because he is acting normal and sleeping doesn't mean he feels good. It's up to you as his owner to get him medical care when he is hurt, please get him to a vet asap.

I will take him to the vet ASAP im on the phone with them right now trying to see if they treat chinchilla's

I called all the vets in town and none are open today, so my little guy has to tough it out till monday so i can take him in...

It looks bad...poor thing. It definitely looks like an injury, but I can't tell for sure exactly how severe (like Stacie said before.) It's very inflamed.

Is there any puss or discharge? You could try cleaning it with some saline solution, but if it is an injury it will just help to clean out dust and other debris that may have gotten in the eye. If it were me, I'd put some warm epsom salt compresses on the eye before he could get to the vet...but I don't know if you will be able to get him to sit still by yourself for one of those. He'll be needing ointment or eye drops to help with this for sure.

i just checked his eye and the red part is gone im still taking him to the vet tomorrow to get him checked out but his eye is wide open and very happy probably because i gave him a raisin

It almost looks as if maybe his eyelid got flipped inside out somehow. I know that can happen to other animals, and I had it happen to me once. It was quite painful. Hopefully it wasn't anything major, and wont cause any issues.

Back