Just felt the need to rant-

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luna_chin

I'm 16 years old right now, but I will be turning 17 soon. I currently live with my grandma, and my three siblings. As I was growing up i never really used to take care of my animals, because I was young. I would get bored with them, and what not. When I was 15, I didn't have any animals and I was alone. I bought a snake, and two rats. I didn't feel alone, I always played with my rats, but not really my snake. For some reason, I like animals that can play with you, run, jump, climb on you- etc. like cats, dogs, etc.
I recently had to get rid of Jasper, he was my hedgehog, I played with him a lot, and took good care of him, but as time went on I got distant with him. I would still clean his cage, feed him, give him new fresh water everyday.
Then I got Luna, my god she's a perfect pet. She's the best thing that I've ever gotten, except for my fiance. I love her to death, she's the most sweetest and cutest and playful animal I've ever had. I consider her my fiance's and my child. My little girl. My grandma realized a long time ago that I wouldn't really take care of my animals and I would just give them away. I wouldn't give them away because I didn't want them anymore, I would give them away because I knew that they needed a better home. Someone that played with them, etc. A nice family. But recently, I learned how mean it was to do that to an animal, and ever sense Luna came into my life- I've treated her so much better than I did with any of the animals I used to have. I play with her all the time, feed her, clean her cage twice a week, give her baths, etc. I plan on getting another chin soon, because I know that I'm responsable, and I can take care of two chins. I'm better than the person I was last year. I've learned to take responsibility. Now, I just have to show my grandmother that. It will take some time, but I know that I can do this. I'm a good parent to my pets now. I know that most of you guys reading this may think that I'm a horrible person, but I'm not. I was stupid before, I didn't realize it until recently. I'm not as bad as I may seem. I'm just proving to people that there are some people out there that don't take really good care of their animals, but as they start to realize what they have/ or used to be doing was wrong- they changed their ways. Exactly what I did.

Rant over.

Well life is about making mistakes and learning from them and sounds like you learned from your mistake and all you can do from here is continue with a good positive attitude that you will not do something like that again. :)

First - You're 16 and you have a fiance? That seems to be a bit young to be engaged to be married isn't it? Realize that this is a mom talking who is watching her daughter struggle to make ends meet while going to college and getting ready to watch her sons do the same thing in the fall. I can't even begin to imagine any of them being remotely interested or ready in getting married at such a young age.

Second, it sounds as though you've been through quite a few pets. Why not just stick with one chin for now? You've got tons of time ahead of you to add another chin, without worrying about graduating, getting a job/going to college, getting married, etc. Rather than showing your grandma you can be responsible, why not just be responsible and wait?

Well I second that making mistakes is a part of growing up and what you learn from them is what is important. At your age I tried so hard to find my "niche" so I hope that you have found it in the chinnie world and I look forward to seeing you at the Atlantic Chapter Show!

And as for being a teenager "in love"... I don't think there are many who have actually fought that argument and won...lol. I wish you the best of luck but keep your eyes open...again as long as you learn from mistakes no matter what they are then hey you are ahead of the game...

:)

Peggy's right -- stick to one chin for now. If they are not compatible, you'll end up with 2 cages to clean and 2 separate play times. Properly cared for, chinchillas can live up to 20 years...that's a long time and a huge commitment for anyone, regardless of age. There are WAY too many chins looking for furever homes because people don't keep their promise to love and care for them!!

I just think it only matters that I'm admitting that I've made mistakes and I'm never going to make them again. That's what should matter. I'm sticking with one chin for awhile. It just shouldn't matter that I'm 16, or anything like that.

All that i'm doing, is making a difference. From what I used to do before.

I've made mistakes and I'm never going to make them again. That's what should matter. QUOTE]

Lol - don't we all wish we could say that! I am almost 49 years old and still make mistakes - probably on a daily basis! :)

I don't think that anyone, 16 years old to 116 years old can make that statement and have it be true. Making mistakes is part of being human.

It takes time to earn someones trust and respect after making a mistake and time to grow and learn from them. Enough said!

I've made mistakes and I'm never going to make them again. That's what should matter. QUOTE]

Lol - don't we all wish we could say that! I am almost 49 years old and still make mistakes - probably on a daily basis! :)

I don't think that anyone, 16 years old to 116 years old can make that statement and have it be true. Making mistakes is part of being human.

It takes time to earn someones trust and respect after making a mistake and time to grow and learn from them. Enough said!

I just meant that the mistakes that I used to do with animals, is no longer going to happen again.

I agree with Peggy, if my daughter came home at 16 and told me she was engaged... LMAO...

I guess I didn't see the rant in this at all, kind of just sounds like you're looking for some sort of reassurance you're a good person or pet carer forer. If your age didn't matter then there was no need for you to put it in your original post, but you did. I don't know you, don't think I've seen any other posts from you either really, but it seems to me like you're looking for approval from your grandma, from you "fiance", and from us. In the end the only person you need approval from for being a good person, being loved by, or being responsible is yourself. Start there, the rest will follow.

In the end just keep up caring for your pets and they'll take care of you. I don't know your situation, but it sounds as if your grandma has her plate pretty full, the best way to show a guardian responsibility is doing more than just taking care of yourself and your own things, take the step up to do things around the house to help if you don't already like extra dishes, offer to cook supper, laundry, whatever. When your grandma asks where it's coming from, say well I just enjoy helping and being responsible since I help make the mess/eat the food/ whatever.

I agree with Peggy, if my daughter came home at 16 and told me she was engaged... LMAO...

I guess I didn't see the rant in this at all, kind of just sounds like you're looking for some sort of reassurance you're a good person or pet carer forer. If your age didn't matter then there was no need for you to put it in your original post, but you did. I don't know you, don't think I've seen any other posts from you either really, but it seems to me like you're looking for approval from your grandma, from you "fiance", and from us. In the end the only person you need approval from for being a good person, being loved by, or being responsible is yourself. Start there, the rest will follow.

In the end just keep up caring for your pets and they'll take care of you. I don't know your situation, but it sounds as if your grandma has her plate pretty full, the best way to show a guardian responsibility is doing more than just taking care of yourself and your own things, take the step up to do things around the house to help if you don't already like extra dishes, offer to cook supper, laundry, whatever. When your grandma asks where it's coming from, say well I just enjoy helping and being responsible since I help make the mess/eat the food/ whatever.

Can't find the like button anywhere..........

This is just me but this is what I am thinking probably happened...

luna_chin - Grandma, I want another chin...
Grandma - No, you have done this before with other pets (wanted them, then lost interest)

Just my guess is all...but if you have realized that chins is your thing stick around, learn all you can and go from there! That is all you can do.

This is just me but this is what I am thinking probably happened...

luna_chin - Grandma, I want another chin...
Grandma - No, you have done this before with other pets (wanted them, then lost interest)

Just my guess is all...but if you have realized that chins is your thing stick around, learn all you can and go from there! That is all you can do.

Mhm.

I would delete this thread, but I- yeah, I don't know how aha.

First - You're 16 and you have a fiance? That seems to be a bit young to be engaged to be married isn't it? Realize that this is a mom talking who is watching her daughter struggle to make ends meet while going to college and getting ready to watch her sons do the same thing in the fall. I can't even begin to imagine any of them being remotely interested or ready in getting married at such a young age.

Second, it sounds as though you've been through quite a few pets. Why not just stick with one chin for now? You've got tons of time ahead of you to add another chin, without worrying about graduating, getting a job/going to college, getting married, etc. Rather than showing your grandma you can be responsible, why not just be responsible and wait?

Yeeeep. Sadly, this stuff happens all the time. I live down in the south, and people are getting "engaged" all the time. All. The. Time. I think I'm the only kid in my town, maybe even the country, that wants to wait for a serious relationship until I fall in love with the right person I /know/ I'll spend the rest of my life with.

Although, sometimes it does work out. My friend Taylor has been engaged for about three years, since she was 17. She's getting married next halloween :)

It doesn't matter anymore. I'm just gonna keep on getting replies about my age.

<.< I with my outsider point of view on your thread would say that the replies were not sololy centered on your age. The teen age years has a big impact on your view of the world it would be hard to say 'hey grats on growing up' with out mentioning age in passing. =P Your rant focused on the fact that you had grown as a person, age and growth go hand in hand!

I'm glad to see you taking charge of your destiny and the well being of your animals. I think the advise someone gave here already about doing extra chores your grandma would normally do is a good way to get her to notice your change of heart. People closest to us take the longest to see a change so don't get frustrated! Also, look forward to more of these changes, from age 16 to 25ish your whole outlook on life seems to change yearly as you come into adulthood.

I'd like to say about the engagement thing that some parts of America people don't get married till 25-30 years of age, while some parts its normal for girls to marry the summer after HS graduation. Growing up I lived in both types of areas, so its not that people are judging you, they just might not be used to seeing such things.

My point of view is that a 16 year old does not have enough experience, and shouldn't have enough experience, with the opposite sex to say yes this is the person I want to marry. Especially a boy at 16 or around that age has the brain capacity of a chimpanzee (sorry to any boys here but it is proven that teens, especially males, are much less capable of considering things like long term happiness and consequences due to development and hormone changes in the brain). It was my view that the OP wanted us to see hey well she has a fiance so she's obviously grown up enough, which is not necessarily true to anything and that putting it in the sentence only confirmed a non-adult thinking pattern. I had a friend who was in her mid-twenties and married at 14, yes at 14. It has worked out wonderfully for them. But statically it doesn't because so few teenagers have enough full world experience to make such a life changing decision.

With that said, there is NOTHING wrong with being 16. I got my first chin when I was 16. Pretty much every person on this board has been 16 before obviously. And I still believe that your post truly was more than just asking how to get your grandmother to allow you another chin which isn't always a bad thing. For example in my line of work I need to be able to see underlying issues, this is something I saw in your post. I'm not saying anything back to you, I'm trying to offer some helpful advice. With being a teenager, it's a time for growth and a time for learning. You said people will just focus on your age, but some of the things we've said are about your age. But nowhere did I see on person say that you should not be able to have another chin because of your age.

Regarding getting a second chin--I would advise strongly against it until you've a better idea of what life holds for you in terms of stability--I hate to bring up your age since it's apparent that the topic is a sore point, but teenage years are often ones of great change, things like moving for school or a career can drastically change your ability or willingness to care for an animal. Having a second chin brings all kinds of new factors into being a pet owner--it's great that you had good luck with Luna, but some chins are naturally shy and may not be the playful, fully interactive pet that you described as being drawn to. If the new chin didn't get along with Luna, you will have the maintenance of two cages, have to plan for two separate playtimes, etc.

I think everyone here is glad that you've realized that your previous pet-ownership methods were irresponsible--and it takes a lot of maturity and guts to admit your errors publicly. But I honestly do not think getting a second chin at this point would serve to prove your point that you've evolved into a more responsible owner. Wait a few years, see where life has taken you, and reassess if getting another pet is right for you then--maybe you'd be at a point where you won't even need your guardian's approval to make such decisions ;)

I really don't think that age has anything to do with ability on pet ownership. I got my first chin and it moved with me through living at my Grandma's, mom's, Aunt's, boyfriends. I made accommodations for her just like I would anything else. When a pet is family you do that.

Back