just curious

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just my opinion..

First off, I think it would stress them out way too much. You wouldn't want to kill your chin just trying to keep it cool. It would also probably make them feel vulnerable, kind of like having their whiskers chewed. Also, since they have such a dense fur, it would probably damage it pretty badly, and it wouldn't grow back in correctly.

I think shaving a chinchilla would traumatize it. Don't you think they like having their fur? It also wouldn't be very safe to shave them. Too much risk of hurting them. You could easily cut them. Also chinchillas do not sweat so shaving them isn't going to help in the same way it helps dog. Chinchillas depend on their big ears to get cool. The chinchilla's fur would also probably never be the same again. Not to mention it could risk becoming too cold without any fur. Shaving a chinchilla just isn't an option. They are not use to a hot environment and need a cool one with low humidity.

A chin without fur would be a very sad thing indeed!

I'm not sure that shaving them would accomplish very much in getting them to be cooler. They'd still have a thin layer of fur all over them and it would grow back fairly quickly. I think the best bet is too keep the air temperature around them cool enough. I don't think anyone has ever tried to find out if this would be a good option!

Fur is as good at keeping them cool as it is warm, think of it as a layer of insulation. It's important NOT to deprive them of that, as it leaves them far more vulnerable to the vagaries of environmental temperatures.

There would probably also be a chance of them developing a skin condition because of it too. Think of how uncomfortable it can be just shaving yourself (face and or legs) and the irritation that occurs. Animal's skin is very sensitive to sunlight and light as well if they are typically furred. Anything like house dust, or other bad things could get to them and severely irritate them as well.

Why can't we shave chinchillas? So they are not that heat sensitive.

LOL.... then you'd have a Degu! Sorry, I just always think of them as furball less chins. But, as already stated it'd be sad to see shaved chin, that's their best physical attribute. Although, breeding a less dense strain could be interesting.

Fur is as good at keeping them cool as it is warm, think of it as a layer of insulation. It's important NOT to deprive them of that, as it leaves them far more vulnerable to the vagaries of environmental temperatures.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Latest posts

Back