Jumping Chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamspirit

Luv All Animals
How high can a Chin jump.. I'm a new chin owner and was wondering as I have a 24" high big puppy ex pen and wondering if they could jump over that?
Thanks

One of my boys made it onto the kitchen counter from the floor. They can jump pretty high.

They can jump very high. Most of them do not know how high they can jump! (And, we shouldn't let them know!!) 24" inches can easily be cleared by most chins unless somehow you can divert the chins' attention from wanting to get out.

And depending on the configuration of the bars on your pen, your chin may be able to climb out. Ours just 20 minutes ago managed to somehow escape our 29" tall pen. She's never done that before, and I have no idea how she pulled it off. No one saw her actual escape...

My first chinchilla escaped out my basement window and it was over 5 feet off the ground. Some chins are more athletic than others, my current girl clears 12 to 24 inches with difficultly. She is fat and lazy though. =P

I had one chin that was a rescue and he had no idea about his jumping capabilities. Generally he never tried more than a foot or so, but a previous chinchilla was a total nut when it came to jumping! Counters, desks, shoulders, it got to the point where playtime had to include one of her humans sitting down and all large objects (like desks) removed so that she couldn't hurt her self if she missed a jump! (Instead she got a cardboard box castle ;) )

If they can get a good wall jump in they can get extra high. plus they can squeeze through things you'd think were too narrow for them. escape artists, every last one of them.

Isn't that the truth. Every single one of them is always looking for a way to get out and get into trouble, Jeremiah. Every one of them... They start when they are tiny kits and don't stop looking for a way to get out and spread their mischievous ways until they are elderly.

Last edited:
I have heard of chins jumping from the ground on to their owner's shoulders when they are sitting in a chair... I think 24" would be cake. Make sure they don't hit their heads too hard when they do jump though :)

one off my chin would jump that easy and sit on the top and just look at me lol.also ive got another that just sqeezes through the bars hes a mazing dont no how he does it he looks so squashed lol little sods haha x

Back