July/August Foster Kittens

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tristanichole

Wow, its been awhile since I've been able to get on here...darn computer issues. Anyways...I was asked to take in 5 kittens who's mother died. I took them in on July 29th and a week later they asked if I could take in 3 more. They are all right around the same age...give/take a few days. The first 5 were 2 weeks old when I got them and the others were around 3 weeks when I got them. They are around 4 weeks old now and they are starting up on soft food...
Unfortunately they've been pretty sick, with what appears to be Coccidia.
On Friday 4 of them went down hill really fast and I had to give fluids under the skin. They have all been doing better (appetite wise), but they have nasty poop still...
Yesterday the one who went downhill first, the first time, started to again, so I had to give more fluids...after I did that she started eating soft food instead of wanting the bottle - YAY!

Anyways, here are some pictures...

They were 2 1/2 weeks old here
That is Berlioz looking up at the camera
6092_127258503932_502678932_3076815_1762513_n.jpg

Bianca
6092_127259088932_502678932_3076846_6047913_n.jpg

Bentley
6092_127260313932_502678932_3076874_7886578_n.jpg

Benson
6092_127260333932_502678932_3076877_3841624_n.jpg

Bayleigh
6092_127260783932_502678932_3076881_743211_n.jpg

More...

Last Thursday these little ones came to me...they still don't have names...
3 weeks old

The one on the left is a girl, the middle tabby is a boy, and the right tabby is a girl...
6092_129680668932_502678932_3116520_6884733_n.jpg

Close up of the girl...she is so so sweet
6092_129680678932_502678932_3116521_2523424_n.jpg

Close up of the boy...he is a bit crazy...
6092_129680688932_502678932_3116522_6163028_n.jpg

Close up of the other girl...she is LOUD
6092_129680698932_502678932_3116523_2357337_n.jpg

And this was the last picture I had of them before they all got sick. I miss it when their bedding only had to be changed out once a day instead of 3...when their litter box wasn't constantly full and sickening and didn't have to be bleached out twice a day...and when they stayed clean and didn't have to have a bath about once a day...*Sigh*
6092_129680708932_502678932_3116524_1361461_n.jpg

awwwwwwwww!!! The tabbies just stole my heart away!

I had two tabbies (one just past away recently), so this really brings me back to when they were young. They just grow up so quickly!

Good Luck with these kitties!! I imagine it takes a lot to foster babies... I wouldn't be able to give them up to good homes because I would want to keep them all! :D

Good luck with these guys. You didn't mention it, but I assume you're treating the coccidia? The rescue I foster for doesn't allow litter mixing EVER, for exactly these reasons. It's really sad that now all of your kittens have coccidia, and it's really hard for those tiny guys to fight it. Maybe next time you if you want to take 2 litters you can keep them apart and not share anything between the groups.

4 weeks

Yes, they are all being treated for it. Unfortunately, I'm really only one of the fosters that can do bottle feeding - so when the Tabbies came in and they needed to be placed right away, I was pretty much it. They had to go in together (yes, I know this isn't the ideal situation), but due to some issues at home, I had no other choice...there was no other space to put them in. They are doing pretty good though. They've been on meds for about 5 days and their poop is slowly starting to look better and a bit more formed. I have fluids on hand, so if anyone starts to slow down they get a nice dose of that and pep right back up.

Here are their 4 week old photos:

Its not easy to get them since I don't want to let them run around my room all sick so I can get decent pictures of them, so most of them are through the pen. They had just finished up eating, so some of them have food mouths and most of them were good and tired!

Bayleigh:
6092_133142963932_502678932_3171861_67197_n.jpg

6092_133142973932_502678932_3171862_1632553_n.jpg

Benson:
6092_133142978932_502678932_3171863_3698086_n.jpg

Bentley: sleeping after dinner
6092_133142993932_502678932_3171866_4389517_n.jpg

Berlioz: cleaning up after dinner
6092_133144973932_502678932_3171883_2790461_n.jpg

Cont...

Bianca: she's the one that keeps having the hardest time...she ate soft food for the first time last night...hence the food face!
6092_133145003932_502678932_3171887_6885058_n.jpg

Little boy Tabby after eating:
6092_133144988932_502678932_3171885_4840110_n.jpg

6092_133147833932_502678932_3171907_7260620_n.jpg

Little girl Tabby after dinner:
6092_133144998932_502678932_3171886_4218614_n.jpg

The other little girl Tabby after dinner...though you wouldn't know it...she yells at me a lot! Just to yell...then I pick her up and she's golden...haha
6092_133147848932_502678932_3171908_5341097_n.jpg

6092_133147853932_502678932_3171909_3959145_n.jpg

Group after dinner:
6092_133144978932_502678932_3171884_4015931_n.jpg

What wonderful pictures. I too have taken care of newborn kittens over the years and I've also been through your whole experience. Keeping them clean can be such a nightmare when they are sick. My last kitten had the same "gut grenade" and developed diaper rash due to the meds. Ohhhhhhhh what a mess. Poor thing was half bald and always greased up with homeopathic ointment. He made it through the whole mess. Keep up the good work.

Attachments

• June 2007 003.jpg
    June 2007 003.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 101
Aww what a cute kitten!
Yes, its hard to keep them clean. I was trying to clean them every meal break, but there was no point...so now I just give them a nice little warm bath at night and put them back on the heating pad. I think what drives me more crazy than them being sick and the long mealtimes, is the sucking they do on each other...it drives me up a wall...

they are just the cutest lil things! I especially like Bentley and Bayleigh.

Well-done foster mum!!

And I thought I had my hands full with one!

Quick question, about what age were you able to start them with the litter box? Our baby just cries when we put him in it and won't go to the bathroom without being stimulated (he's 3 weeks). He also has absolutely no interest in soft food and prefers his bottle. I figure I would try everything again in a week, but your 4 weekers look like pro's already. :p

I put the litter box in there at 3 weeks and they all started using it right away without me showing them anything. Put him in it right after he eats and just walk away within looking distance, but not so that he can cry for you to pick him up. He's probably very lonely and just always wants to be with you I'm sure. Another thing you can try, is to stimulate him over the litter box. Don't scoop it out right away, that way he can see that his "stuff" should be in there.

Don't worry, he'll get off the bottle sooner or later. Its harder with just one because that is not just feeding time, but interaction time. For him, he has no one else eating first to show him what to do. The three tabby's...they all just started eating the soft food, I didn't have to help them at all. Bayleigh and Benson refuse the soft food right now and only want the bottle. I just try every day with them at every meal time to see if they are interested yet. What I did with the other kittens who are now more interested in the soft food than the bottle is, I open their mouth and put a little bit of the soft food in on the roof of their mouth. If they eat it and seem like they want more I do that a few times and slowly lure them to the bowl. If they just spit it out (*uh-um - Bayleigh and Benson) I just give them the bottle...they aren't ready yet. I know that a lot of times people like to rush it - "They're 4 weeks, no more bottle"...but I let each kitten do everything at their own pace. The last litter I had...there was one kitten that demanded bottle feeding and I did it until he was 6 weeks old...then all of a sudden I saw him munching on hard food and only gave him the bottle once a day for a little while and then stopped him.

Lemme tell ya...8 kittens is NOT a walk in the park, not when they are
a) this tiny
b) sick
c) all doing things at different speeds

Yesterday Bianca didn't have to have any fluids injected, she was fine and eating on her own. This morning she was hungry, but she refused the bottle and didn't want anything to do with the food...so, once again...fluids injected...still didn't want to eat...started puking what I did get down her throat, and has the runs. She's so dehydrated this morning that I could hardly find a good area to PUT the fluids. I'll give them again in a few hours and feed something...I'm thinking she'll be more apt to eat in a while after the fluids hit...that usually spunks her up. She was the biggest kitten when she first got here...now she's scrawny =(

We've got 4 more nights of their meds to give too, so I'm really hoping they start to look better (poop wise).

For the life of me I can't imagine what must be giving the little one so much trouble with eating/barfing/ ect. There are many things that come to mind. Immune problems, gut, flora of the gut, reflux, and the list could go on. I'll just try to add a few things to the post keeping in mind it's not something more serious.

1. Try another formula. ( I think with her possible teeth, having a nursing mom maybe out of the question )
2. Try a REALLY small amount of food (liquid or puree) with some added acedopholis live bacteria. Start really small and see what stays down.
IMO: the Benebac is crap. It's never worked for me and I keep the live stuff in the fridge.
3. Find a cat breeder who has some colosterum or order some. It's not cheap.
( a breeder might have some words of wisdom)

I wish I could think of something to add to help you. It would seem your a pro at taking care of them.
Hang in there. Your doing super. Hugs

She was so healthy as a tiny baby, and then 3 weeks hit and BAM...sick baby.
For the life of me I can't imagine what must be giving the little one so much trouble with eating/barfing/ ect. There are many things that come to mind. Immune problems, gut, flora of the gut, reflux, and the list could go on. I'll just try to add a few things to the post keeping in mind it's not something more serious.

1. Try another formula. ( I think with her possible teeth, having a nursing mom maybe out of the question ) She isn't interested in eating formula any more, she wants the soft food. When she has the energy she is all about eating it, when she doesn't...she doesn't.
2. Try a REALLY small amount of food (liquid or puree) with some added acedopholis live bacteria. Start really small and see what stays down.
IMO: the Benebac is crap. It's never worked for me and I keep the live stuff in the fridge. I have the capsules...maybe I should pick up some plain yogurt also though...add it to the canned food they are eating.
3. Find a cat breeder who has some colosterum or order some. It's not cheap.
( a breeder might have some words of wisdom)
If these were MY kittens I would try to do more when it comes to things like this, but these are from the shelter and they are the ones that pay for everything...its one of the reasons that I do this with them is because financially, I can't take on 8 kittens...so its nice that they do everything. I think they would want to try meds before something like this, especially since she has no interest in milk anymore...for the most part.

I wish I could think of something to add to help you. It would seem your a pro at taking care of them.
Hang in there. Your doing super. Hugs
Thanks, I'm trying really hard with her. It was just lunch time and she didn't seem terribly interested in much again. She took about 3 bites and didn't want anymore. I gave her fluids again. I also just gave them some Strongid in case that is an additional factor along with Coccidia. Poor babies. All they want to do is come out and spend time with me, but they aren't ready for free roam...not with the soft/diarrhea type poop they are having...my husband would kill me if he went to lay down on the bed and touch poop...EW! So for now they are in the pen and for now they are pretty sad about it. I try to spend a little time at each meal with each one though...holding it and talking to it for a little bit...that is, if they don't try to wiggle away.

It seems as if 6Dusters hasn't spent much time around tiny kittens. I can think of a million things that could be wrong with your kittens, and I know you know first-hand how sick kittens can be when the come into a shelter system.

It sounds like you're doing everything you can. I've had two litters so far this year that were on death's door, and it took a long time for the diarrhea to stop and for them to reliably eat wet and dry on their own. I agree that colostrum doesn't make sense for a group this "old." A few things I found that helped for the non-eaters:

1) Fluids twice a day every day, regardless of how they looked. Once they had 3 good days of eating, I stopped. If they have one good day and you stop, they tend to slide backwards (in my experience).
2) For the vomiting one, try a mixed of canned A/D, KMR, and a tiny bit of 100% pumpkin puree but make it pretty watery. Force feed tiny amounts (3mL or so) at a time and see if that stays down. This has been the winning thing for me with the vomiters.
3) What meds are they on? Depending on that, metronidozole has been a lifesaver (literally) for mine. It stops the diarrhea quickly, so they feel better, and consequently eat more.
4) If you have bottle babies that aren't eating solids but doing well on the bottle, keep them on the bottle. With the sickness they have, they need to keep hydrated and eating. You don't want to do anything to jeopardize it (I know you know this!).
5) You have to force feed any that aren't eating, or are only eating tiny bits. If you don't, you're almost guaranteed to lose them.

I would not even consider letting these guys out for a least a week (preferably 2). Your profile says you have house pets, and the last thing you want is to get them sick too. Good luck!

It seems as if 6Dusters hasn't spent much time around tiny kittens. I can think of a million things that could be wrong with your kittens, and I know you know first-hand how sick kittens can be when the come into a shelter system.

It sounds like you're doing everything you can. I've had two litters so far this year that were on death's door, and it took a long time for the diarrhea to stop and for them to reliably eat wet and dry on their own. I agree that colostrum doesn't make sense for a group this "old." A few things I found that helped for the non-eaters:

1) Fluids twice a day every day, regardless of how they looked. Once they had 3 good days of eating, I stopped. If they have one good day and you stop, they tend to slide backwards (in my experience). I just thought about this today and thought I would start giving them to her 2 or 3 times a day until she was gaining weight and more lively, because you're absolutely right, she'll have a good day and be on the fluids and eat and I'll think "ok, she's alright, I wont stick her today" and then she's crappy the next day...so yes, fluids, fluids, fluids...life saving little fluids.

2) For the vomiting one Same kitty...she's puking and all of that...no one else is puking anymore., try a mixed of canned A/D, KMR, and a tiny bit of 100% pumpkin puree but make it pretty watery. Force feed tiny amounts (3mL or so) at a time and see if that stays down. This has been the winning thing for me with the vomiters. I'll pick some pumpkin up today...if I can make it over to work I'll pick up some A/D as well...if not, I'll bring it home tomorrow when I go to work.

3) What meds are they on? Depending on that, metronidozole has been a lifesaver (literally) for mine. It stops the diarrhea quickly, so they feel better, and consequently eat more. They are on Albon for the Coccidia and I just gave them all a dose of Strongid for worms if they have them...

4) If you have bottle babies that aren't eating solids but doing well on the bottle, keep them on the bottle. With the sickness they have, they need to keep hydrated and eating. You don't want to do anything to jeopardize it (I know you know this!). I always let babies work at things on their own terms, I offer them the other types of food, but if its the bottle they want, its what they get. Eventually they'll show interest in either the soft or hard food and I'll wean them off the bottle, but until then...I don't want to have to give fluids to anymore kittens!

5) You have to force feed any that aren't eating, or are only eating tiny bits. If you don't, you're almost guaranteed to lose them. That's what I've been doing with Bianca...the one with all the troubles. I just put some food in her mouth and she'll swallow some of it (Soft food) and I'll rinse it down with a little KMR 2nd step (nice and watered down so its not too thick). I always make sure she's at least putting a little bit of something in her tummy...even if it doesn't look like a whole lot.

I would not even consider letting these guys out for a least a week (preferably 2). Your profile says you have house pets, and the last thing you want is to get them sick too. Good luck! Absolutely right, no one comes out until they are better. I don't want any of my animals coming into contact with their feces. On top of that, I never let kittens roam until their litter box habits are about 99% perfect...I don't really prefer to shampoo up poopy spots...haha

My husband said to me the other day...as if he just came to realize this..."You really do a lot for foster kittens!" I gave him a scowl because all this time he thought they weren't much work..."OF COURSE" I said. Especially when they are sick like this...I don't just watch them diminish...you have to take major steps. And its not like I just watch them grow and throw a little food in there for them whenever...Everything is scheduled...they have to eat 3 times a day and it takes close to an hour each feeding to get them all done. I have to bleach out all of their stuff to make sure its nice and clean. I have to scoop litter boxes about a million times a day...change bedding constantly so its not nasty. Not to mention the meds each night and the deworming that I have to remember to do every so often. Oh, and lets add in those bathes for the kittens that have food or poop...or BOTH...stuck all over their fur. Yes, its a lot of work...and like the head woman for the cats said to me when she came over the other day "No man could do this work" haha...I think I have to agree...

After raising 17 newborn kittens over the last 13 years I can understand your dedication and being "worn out." BTW my suggetions were only for the sickest kitten. It was only a thought to perhaps help out in her desperate state.
In any event........you can also put on some old clothes you care nothing for, and just sit inside the pen with them. Lay some newspaper down in the meantime and let them have some "mom" time. Your almost at the end of the most trying time. Between stimulating and litter box useage. Between meds and a clean flora of the body. Hang in there.

One last thing comes to mind. See if you can find a healthy human meat grade kitten food. I had to switch all my cats over to a food such as this. My diabetic cat hates all those "RX" diets. So I took it upon myself some years back to research a few foods. Look at the ingredient list. You might be alarmed. By products are just what they say they are. Feet, feathers, bones, ears, ect. And in most cases that is the the second ingredient. Corn is another one thrown in there as a filler. Cats are meat eaters. I have several friends with animals who have had severe food problems and are now using WELLNESS. I also use BLUE.......SPA SELECT. Blue is a dry formula with probiotic seperate kibbles mixed in. My gang of 5 also get can's of Wellness.
Note: this is not to say the food is the problem with the one kitten. But a good quality protein source "might" help. Treat the whole body. Not just the symptom. Since I read "vomit" my first thought would be change the food. Since I also read not wanting to eat.......I think change the food. However.......those meds also add to the problem of soft/watery poo. But they are much needed as well. I hope this makes sense.
Best wishes on the little ones.

Latest posts

Back