Jaw Swelling and Discharge

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rach06ao

Chinnie Lover
Hi Guys
One of my chins Snowy hasn't been looking well. Literally overnight the right side of her jaw swelled up the size of a grape!
I am really worried as she stopped eating by herself and has whitish, transparent and thick liquid coming out of her mouth sometimes.

I have a vets appointment coming up this week, and for the past two days of her illness I have been giving her Fibrevore Recovery Paste and Critical care as she finds it difficult to eat pellets.
She has always chewed EVERYTHING in sight so I doubt it could be teeth overgrown, especially so quick.
Could she have broke her jaw or something?
I was wondering if anyone else has seen this problem to please tell me what it is and what the outcome of their chinnie was? Im really worried about Snowy :(

Thanks

It sounds like it is an abscess. It could have something to do with the teeth or it could be something unrelated. I've seen tooth abscesses and facial abscesses, sometimes things clear up with antibiotics, sometimes they don't. It could be something else, but it's probably an abscess.

The way you described it, I think that it has something to do with the teeth. Most of the time just having an abscess on a chin's face isn't going to keep her from eating, but an abscessed tooth or a severely lacerated mouth would - if there's white puss liquid coming out of her mouth, most likely the abscess burst. You should be prepared for the vet to say that this chin needs surgery.

With any chinchilla ailment you need to get the chin to the vet as soon as you possibly can. The chances of a chinchilla recovering are much greater when problems are caught very early. If they can bump the appointment up to tomorrow, have them do it.

Back