Its gettin hot in here!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrightbrotherchins

The boys and I made it to our new place and our room gets sun most of the day. The boys have 7 chinchillers, various sizes I've found at thrift stores. However the poor little guys are still too warm. I have fans and black out curtains but I don't think its enough.

The new roommates keep the ac off and the doors open, which is nice for us humans. I was just curious how people in the hotter parts of the world keep their babies cool.

Window unit or a portable a/c unit, its the only permanent solution. window units are very energy efficient so you wont notice a big change in the electric bill.

We have central air, which died about 2 weeks ago. While we wait on the new unit to be installed, we've moved the chinchillas into one of the spare bedrooms and bought a small window unit to cool that room and the other spare room. It was only $100 at Walmart and works really well.

Air conditioning of some kind is a must in the summer time. It's not really an option but a necessity in most places. I have an energy star unit w/ a thermostat that I bought last year and it works great! I think I paid $175 for it but I'm sure you can get cheaper units out there.

Our landlord pays our electric bill and they never mention a difference with the A/C unit running (they do know it's there). If there is an increase in the cost, it is quite minimal because they would let us know-- trust me!! lol

Yea and remember that breeze you feel from the open door or a fan is only cool to you because it evaporates sweat on your skin, this doesnt happen with chins so the benefit 0 from it. I think NC is one of the hot muggy states right? Need an A/c for your chinny, just keep your door shut if the roomies dont want to help pay for cool air.

Thanks everyone. I talked to the room mates and we will be running the ac a lot in july and august. I have the crank out panel windows so a window unit is kinda not an option. I might have to move their cage out into a common area that's pretty cool.

No worries, we will figure this out :)

a/c

Ypu can get one of those portable a/c inits.They fit inside the window so it will work on the cranl
k outs.:thumbsup:

y

I live in Norfolk, VA and it is much to hot to go without AC in the summer with how high the humidity gets. I don't think just moving them into a cooler room will help during the summer. Have you had your chins through a summer yet? Only asking based on your join date. Mercynursie, can you post the pic or link again? The pic didn't come through and I'm interested to see what would work for a crank out window as I've never seen one before.

Living in NC, I will tell you, it's wayyy too hot to go without the a/c. My barn has the a/c on year round unless it drops below 50, and then I keep the windows open with fans blowing in cool air. It's close to 90 right now, and living on the 'Banks, I know your humidity is 70-90% at all times. It's 70%+ here right now, I'm keeping the barn at 60 degrees fighting 75% humidity in there at all times and panicking if it goes higher. You have to realize that the humidity makes everything so much worse. A fan is not going to work, the a/c is the only way. Please do not put your chins at risk by only using a fan or trying to find a cool spot. It's just not worth the risk.

On another note - if it comes down to the fact that you cannot use the a/c due to your roommates, I've chinsat just through the summer to help out with those who don't have a/c's, who go through hurricanes without power, etc. We have a backup generator here, and the chins will always be cool. The offer is open if that's what you need.

Last edited:
portable a/c

Sorry I didn't post a pic, most folks that know me on here know I am technology impaired!LOL! Here is the model that I use http://www.homedepot.com/p/Haier-8-000-BTU-portable-AC-CPRB08XCJ/
I should mention that althought I am computer impaired, I am great at DIY and making stuff work .Give me duct tape,zip ties,wood, cardboard and my hubby calls me Mrs McGyver!Crank out windows may require fitting with a piece of plywood and some foamboard insulation but it can be done and done without damaging window.;)

Do you have marble slabs? If you put them in the refrigerator then put them in the cage, it would be a cool spot to go on. Then if you can't get ac immediately, I read somewhere you can use 4 liters of those coke bottles, fill it with water, freeze it then put it in each corner. Ideally with metal covering the plastic. Or you can use metal containers and put ice in it. However I don't think it really helps with the humidity. And there's condensation or what not. But the refrigerated marble works well, for a temporary solution.

https://www.goductless.com/Sunpento...-Air-Cooler-with-Ionizer-Blue-Finish/29151.ac

Were getting one of these!! Shipping will take a few days though. I have been Freezing their chinchillers and they are pretty happy about that. The ones we have are 2x thicker than the regular, rectangular chinchillers. they hold the cold longer too.

Yes this is our first summer. We are adjusting to the heat currently and will be chilled out in less than a week.

Im giving this a try too
vuRN4d9.jpg

n45oaTx.jpg

Wilbur

Pc2C5ri.jpg

Orville

We take small soda bottles filled with water and freeze them,then put them in a fleece bag,so they don't chew the bottles. Place them on a chin chiller and the chins are happy. They snuggle right up to them to cool off. But a/c is always better.

OMG you use these only in super dry air environments. It's not an AC. If I'm correct, this unit uses water vapor to cool with a fan.
People who live out west know what these are and why they are used. Send it back ASAP. You need a portable AC unit.

Adding humidity and heat could cause severe problems or death if the AC is not running.

Right now I'm running central AC in Virginia and its a fighting battle to keep them cool at 72. They are in my house and not in a barn. I'm dusting more often and adding a bit of anti fungal powder just in case. Humidity monitor is reading anywhere between 50 to 80 percent. That changes with cloud cover/heavy rain/raining or just another sunny day.
If you want to know how much your chin is feeling humidity......just stick you hand under the belly and you'll feel just how sticky hot they are between dustings.

Please take Tiffany's offer to over summer them if you can't get the portable AC. She will take wonderful care of your animal.

Portable AC units are not cheap.

Last edited:
Ac is a must. There is no way around it. Chillers and ice only work for a small, very small, amount of time. The ice also increases you chances of fungus. Explain to your room mates that its not a option ats a need or they will die. You are lucky they have lasted this long with as hot as its been. Get a portable floor ac unit so you. Don't have to worry about the window.

OMG you use these only in super dry air environments. It's not an AC. If I'm correct, this unit uses water vapor to cool with a fan.
People who live out west know what these are and why they are used. Send it back ASAP. You need a portable AC unit.
^^^

I've owned something almost identical to what you ordered and that is not going to work. You need something that will dehumidify and lower the air temperature, definitely definitely NOT something that will add any more moisture to the air. Either get your room mates to turn on the ac or buy a portable unit. It will cost you a couple hundred (I found a used on online where I live and it's amazing, cost ~$200 used, was ~$500 new) but it is a definite necessity and you can't get around it. It's just one of the costs of owning a chinchilla and living somewhere warm.

Back