Issues with bad vet info... please help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

romy

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this site and to owning chinchillas. I'll be upfront in saying we bought our chins without knowing everything about them.

We bought Gizzmo about a month ago and Archie two weeks ago.
Gizzmo is great, active with a big personality and poops and drinks like a king :p
These two unfortunately do not get along but it will take time. And will probably ask for some help later on with that.

My issue right now is with Archie. When we bought him from the pet store (first mistake) he was so passive and clam that I just fell in love with him. We noticed right away that he didn't poop much and we thought nothing of it at first. A week later I got really concerned as he was not drinking or eating and was noticing that maybe it was not his personality and perhaps he was sick. We brought him to a clinic for exotic animals and was told he was hypothermic and had bacteria in his digestive track and had probably gotten into his bloodstream. He looked big, but as it turns out he was very skinny (416 grams)(he has longer fur than Gizzmo) and his stomach was bloated.
So the vet told us normal body temp was 101 -104F for a chinchilla and wanted to put him on heating pads in an incubator right away. Now I know I'm a newb but that just seemed very odd since 75 is the highest a room should be. Anyways she prescribed the following meds: metronidazole .04 cc, ovol 1cc, metacam .07cc and trimebutine .01cc all twice daily plus bene-bac .05 cc once per day. Also critical care 20cc/ day. And if he wasn't drinking to do half OJ half water and feed him via syringe. So we followed all the directions put him on heating pads and gave all the medication as prescribed. But we had issues with the heating ... it just didn't seem right. After further investigation the vet was wrong, body temp should be 97 - 100F. Had we followed her directions little Archie would be dead of heat stroke. His poop was smelling very bad and were far and few between however we did see some improvement in size and frequency. No discharges, they were about 1/8th what Gizzmos were and looked frail.

So a week later, now a poop expert, I took him to a different vet, took some X-rays and she recommended I continue with the meds until they run out, I haev almost 3 weeks of meds when the first vet said max 7 days, But to stop the OJ and water because of the sugars in OJ. I was out of the Ovol and she did not prescribe more as she did not have any at the clinic and could not find the human dosage equivalent. She replaced the metacam with .01 safe-guard (1 dose per day for 3 days) and added 1.6cc of sulfa/trim 160/32mg/ml (2 doses per day for 2 weeks). And added .1 of laxatone daily. The X-Rays did show some gas and constipation, the gas bubble was about the size of a quarter. This vet also told me he should have about a cup of diversified veggies per day including carrots, which I know to be harmful for him. So now I'm doubting her competencies as well.

800$ later and we've only had him for 2 weeks I can't afford to go to the vet every week. I just want him to get better and get the right answers the first time around. He's now eating on his own (still doing the critical care though and weening him off slowly) but it seems that his tummy is getting bloated again. So my question is: 1.6cc of sulfatrim is that too much? He'll take all his other meds but this one he spits out. I'm not sure if it's the taste or if he knows that it's bad for him. Please help as I do not want to administer drugs in dosages that could kill him. FYI he's 5 months old and weighs .97lbs.
We do not have other exotic vets in my city, both are giving wrong info.

I really appreciate any info you can provide.

Thank you!

Temps are in the lower range and not what a dog/cat should be. Anytime I have ever taken the temp of my chins they run about 97 degrees.

Sulfatrim-it would be helpful if you could give mg/ml. That would help me out. I usually give .10 to .4 ml depending on the size of the animal. So you could be overdosing. Sulfatrim tastes good so not sure why he's spitting it out.

If he's got bloat he really needs to be given sulfatrim, gas drops, tummy rubs, exercise, fluids, and lots of critical care. 20 cc critical care is nothing. I usually give 24 cc per feeding usually 4x a day.

No veggies, no sweets. Just push the fluids, hay, and critical care until his stools are normal.

In NYS we have what's called the lemon law where you can return the pet or get a refund for the veterinary care up to the cost of the pet. Personally if he was sick then you should of just taken him back. Bloat is very hard to treat....if that is even what it is.

Any other questions ask away.

I'm with Godin on the med recommendations. However, what I'd want to know is what caused the issues in the first place. My little guy who got frequent stasis and bloat had maloclussion. When his teeth would bother him he'd stop eating as much and that'd cause issues. What food do you have him on? Where'd you get him from? What were they feeding him? A sudden food change could have possibly caused these issues.

Thanks for the reply as you can see I'm fresh out of ideas!

At Godins : sulfa/trim 160/32mg/ml giving vet dosage of 1.6ml twice per day.
We unfortunately do not have a lemon law.
Gas drops? That would be the Ovol (simethicone) right?

I contacted the vet office this morning to see if she can recheck the dosage and/or provide a higher dose but smaller quantity. Also to get a new prescription for Ovol. Since I'm out.
Yes we are giving him bene-bac .05ml once per day.

He was doing better and over night his stomach just got very bloated. So now I'm really worried.

At Lilybabe: He's still very young and his teeth were checked by both vets, they both say they are good. As for the food he's stil transitioning from the petstore food (we got him 2 weeks ago, I don't know if it's supposed to take this long to transition) to what we have our other healthy chinchilla on which is Versele-Laga Chinchilla and degu Pro. They are pellets, not a mix. These are much bigger than the ones at the store. The store had told us it was the same thing just bigger so when we got him they didn't give us any of what he was eating. About 4 days after when we noticed he had stopped eating we went back to the petstore and got some of what he had. He's eating but very little.

24ml of Critial Care 4 times a day! wow that's a lot. If he has constipation should we be pushing on the CC or just going at his pace? He's been on CC for 10 days now and started to reduce the amount about 2 days ago as per this vet.

On a separate note I'd like to know if anyone has a good vet in Montreal, QC?

I just gave him a belly massage and for the first time heard him whimper. It's breaking my heart. Still waiting on the vet :(

Thanks for the reply as you can see I'm fresh out of ideas!

At Godins : sulfa/trim 160/32mg/ml giving vet dosage of 1.6ml twice per day.
We unfortunately do not have a lemon law.
Gas drops? That would be the Ovol (simethicone) right?

He was doing better and over night his stomach just got very bloated. So now I'm really worried.

24ml of Critial Care 4 times a day! wow that's a lot. If he has constipation should we be pushing on the CC or just going at his pace? He's been on CC for 10 days now and started to reduce the amount about 2 days ago as per this vet.

On a separate note I'd like to know if anyone has a good vet in Montreal, QC?

I know others would agree with me on the critical care. It needs to be bumped up. He's not even getting maintance at your dose. The only way you can get their gut moving is by exercise, water, and pushing food.

I checked on our dose. You are using a different concentrated dose than what I have. Ours is 200/40 mg/5ml. So if you were on the same drug as me you would be giving roughly .3ml twice a day. However you are giving a different concentration so I can't comment on that. Yours still seems high but like I said I can't comment on it.

You don't need a script for simethicone. You can go to a drug store or grocery store and look for baby gas drops. Same thing. Bloat is very painful. It won't resolve on it's own if you are not aggressive with its treatment.

I find the best result in feeding a bloated chins is lots of small feedings, 10ml 6 times a day or so, a dose of simethicone, belly massage and then run around time. The tummy hurts so a larger amount of food per sitting really hurts.

logically speaking
200/5ml = 40mg/ml
40/5ml = 8mg/ml
OMG!!! He's on 160mg/ml and 32mg/ml @ 1.6ml, that's 4 times the potency and over 5 times the amount you give so in reality he's having 20 times the amount you give!
So I should be giving him 0.015ml of this instead max 0.02ml per dose... This is what I'm talking about, the vets in Montreal have NO IDEA what to do with Chinchillas. Even though these are exotic vets.
I spoke to a local breeder a few minutes ago who told me 2 out of 3 chinchillas who go to the vet don't make it. Now I'm starting to understand why. Maybe it's time for me to go back to school and become a vet.
I'm going to go to the pharmacy now, the vet told me we need a prescription in Canada for this, so I'm hoping they were wrong about this too.
As for the Critical Care I bumped up his dosage but am wondering if it should be done gradually or if I should give him 24ml in one shot. Also a side not here; he does eat a little bit on his own, should I compensate for this? Is there a weight of pellets they should eat per day ( mainly so I can monitor this)?
My boyfriend read an article that sulfatrim can cause bloating... let's hope it's that!!
Again thank you for the precious advice. I'll keep you guys posted.

At Dawn: good tip. One question: I work full time so he'd be without CC for at least 9 hours, I could get up in the middle of the night but that's only 4 feedings... also any idea as to how long I'm supposed to do this for?

Okay, I just got back from the pharmacy, you were right I bought the baby drops called Ovol which are 40mg/ml. So here is my other issue since we are having so much conflicting info from the vets please help me one last time on this. his dosage was 1ml twice pre day of 100mg/ml that would mean 2.5ml of this twice per day. Great the conversion makes sense but on the package it says to not exceed 1.5ml for a baby per 24 hours. Now I'm no expert but, if a say, 7 pound baby can't have more that 1.5ml than what will 5ml do to a .97 pound chinchilla... please help with dosage as I'm really unsure and the last thing I should do is overdose him.

The first vet office finally called me back, (the second never did) I asked them about the Ovol and they told me 0.7ml of the 40mg/ml ... which to me makes no sense.. since that's 4 times less of a dose than they had originally prescribed.
So I gave him that dose, knowing that he had 4 times that amount for the past 9 days. I'm still not convinced though. Can anyone tell me what they've given theirs?

You can't really overdose simethicone, its not absorbed by the body and stays in the digestive tract, I give a full dropper full every 4 hours.

Okay good to hear, Dawn how big is your dropper? 1ml? They make different packaging and dosages for different countries. I just want to be sure, sorry for the back and forth

At Dawn: good tip. One question: I work full time so he'd be without CC for at least 9 hours, I could get up in the middle of the night but that's only 4 feedings... also any idea as to how long I'm supposed to do this for?

Until he is 100% eating on his own and stools are normal.

Good news Archie's stomach is slowly going down, he's a little more active too. I have another visit with the second vet on Monday to see about malo and to do a check up. Hopefully he'll still be with us by then. Thank you so much to all of you for answering so quickly, I really appreciate it.

Hi everyone,

i just wanted to thank you for your invaluable advice. I'm happy to announce that Archie has made a full recovery and is a happy chinchilla!

Back